Officer shot man after police say she feared for life

Rainman

Is a police officer allowed to shoot someone when their life is in danger? Yes. So what's the best way to avoid getting shot? Do what the cop says and everything might be OK. A man who decided to fight a female cop found a bullet lodged in his belly . . .

A Baltimore police officer feared for her life when she shot a suspect during a struggle in Northwest Baltimore, police said Friday.

Police commanders said they believe the officer's actions Thursday were justified. The suspect was shot in the abdomen and was recovering Friday after surgery, police said.
Fight the cops and still expect sympathy when you get shot? No sir.
"When we pull the trigger, that is the last option," said Deputy Commissioner Jerry Rodriguez.

Muthoni

This suspect must disrespect women; he wanted to fight her because physically he is stronger than her. I must also agree that she was justified. If he was able to subdue her he could have taken her gun and did so much worse with it. There is a reason why it is dangerous to resist arrest, now he has a wound to heal.

Mackmax

I agree with Muthoni, he probably thought he could win the battle with the woman. Sadly, this is not the case. This is when police officers should use their guns, when they're on the ground in a dangerous tussle and their life is in danger, not when they feel a tiny bit threatened. I commend the police officer for using her gun only when it was necessary, and only shooting to save her life instead of just shooting to kill. I am glad that the man wasn't killed, even though he made an extremely stupid decision.

missbishi

Despite the fear she must have felt, she still shot to disable, not to kill. I think this was perfectly justified - and I do agree that the perp probably thought he could overpower a woman. Well, more fool him!

Kittyworker

Despite the fear she must have felt, she still shot to disable, not to kill. I think this was perfectly justified - and I do agree that the perp probably thought he could overpower a woman. Well, more fool him!

She didn't "shoot to disable" she shot where police are taught to shoot which is center mass. If you try to aim for a limb its far less likely you will score a hit on the target. Don't be fooled by cop shows where they will shoot a suspects gun out of his hand or will shoot a fleeing suspect in the thigh. That kind of stuff doesn't happen.