Phone Interview

patperru

I have a phone interview this afternoon for a security position, and this will be my first job interview. We're doing it over the phone because I'm currently living in New Jersey and the job is in Florda. I'm just trying to get myself prepared for it, I would appreciate some tips and suggestions on what to do.

tbrannon44

Don't use a cell phone. Make sure you are prepared to answer basic interview questions. I would also be the only one in the room, so make sure no one else is there. Just make sure your are professional and be yourself.

JayeeDolo

Whether it’s call waiting or an answering machine for an additional phone line, turn off all your phone accessories. These noises can be a distraction and embarrassment, sabotaging your chances of moving the interview process forward. Most phone companies let you disable and re-activate these features on a self-service basis.

wulfman

Stay calm, talk to the person as if you know them and just be truthful about yourself. And yea make sure nobody is going to disturb you while you are speaking with them. Do not say "hold on". If they do fine but you are the one looking for work.

askanison

Just be yourself. Be relaxed try not to stutter or rush your answers. Take time to think each question through before you answer. Good luck with the interview!!!

True2marie

This is a good question. Although your phone interview is over, here are some tips for other people facing the same situation. Be sure you . . .

1) Drink at least one glass of water and have spoken to someone already. This way, you don't start off with a crackling 'morning voice'.

2) Write answers to the usual questions on paper. This way, you can actually read them to the caller. If you have a tendency to get nervous, this method works much better than trying to memorize answers.

3) Be ready for your call 15 minutes in advance. For some reason, based on my experience, phone call interviews never start on time. The person either tries to reach you much earlier or later than the scheduled time.

4) Take your call in a quiet space. Other folks on this forum have touched on this. There's no easier way to ruin your chances of getting a job than having a lot of background noise distracting you and the interviewer.

5) Be positive. Think of all you can offer to a new company and talk from that vantage point. Remember, people don't hire you to fulfill your needs. They hire you to fulfill their needs.

Determined2014

Be sure that there is no interruption on the phone line you choose to use, have all your paper work with you, that way you don not have to put them on hold to go searching for any infromation they need from you, keep it professional like you are actually having the interveiwer infront of you, lastly I would say be sure that there is no background noise at all and good luck on your interveiw

ic3squid

Try and stay calm, be in a quiet room. Remember this quote: "Stay cool as a cucumber" try and think you're james bond, but not that cool.

bala

Honestly,i would give you just one tip,or may be 2.
1.Act normal,feel a ease,never show anxiety in any form.
2.Don't try to impress him,but rather connect with him.
If you re-read those 2,you will understand the hidden meaning.If you don't ping me,i can give it out,but if you can do it,it would be great.

Ricardo187

I find it weird that someone hires a security guard by phone, but nevertheless, try to be secure of yourself, don't show that you're nervous, give straight and solid answers to the questions and make him/her understand that you're fit of the job.

dariel2323

Just be yourself. Be relaxed try not to stutter or rush your answers. Take time to think each question through before you answer. Good luck with the interview!!!

I say the same as "askanison" not being shy, zero fright, be yourself, not to think negative, thinks that is ready and you will be. Lucky friend and I sure that you gonna make it.

sharpayvargas1

I already experiences how it's like to be interviewed through the phone. We did not schedule the interview so I wasn't prepared My problem though was the poor reception. So we were "I'm sorry. What was that again". Lucky for you, you have time to prepare. So take time to prepare for the usual questions during job interviews. Just make sure that your responses don't sound memorized. Since it's through the phone, it's your advantage that you can bluff. Pretend that you are confident in your every answer. Just be true to yourself about what you want to say and if the job is really for you, then it's so yours.

DancingLady

Smile when you talk, as if you are talking to someone in person. It really carries in your tone. Just try to relax and be yourself. They are going to want to find out about you, so try not to be too nervous because it's a phone call not an in person conversation.

Whitewolf2578

Don't sound nervous on the phone, and I don't know why people are telling you not to use a Cellphone. Not everyone is 80 years old and still has a home phone. Just be yourself, and answer everything truthfully and you will be fine. I would rather have a phone interview rather than a face to face one.

helaofthenorns

When I was a fresh graduate, I applied for a PR consultant post. Even though the office was still in the city, the manager still opted to do a phone interview because she said that she was very busy. I passed the interview, but I didn't take the post because a better offer came along. Here are some tips to help you:

1. Answer all questions as short and concise as possible. Even if the interview is through phone, the people on the other line may have to interview other people. Be honest and straight to the point.

2. Be in a quiet room. Answering a phone interview in the living room where there are people is a no-no. You might get distracted, or you might not hear the questions asked by the interviewer.

3. Don't forget to ask questions when told to do so. You know when interviewers ask if you have questions at the end of the interview? Always ask one or two questions because this is a sign that you are interested for the post. If you want to ask for the salary, just say :"Do you mind if I ask how much my salary would be?"

Muthoni

Just be comfortable and know that if this position is meant for you nothing can change it. Remember to be confident and speak normally. Remember that you are representing your skills to the caller on the other side. Remember to smile even if the caller does not see your face, they will feel it from their side. I wish you the very best in bagging this position.

wulfman

So how did this turn out ? You aren't posting so looks like you got the job :p

You got a lot of good advice from a lot of good people here.

Good luck.