Police helping in natural disasters

Gabe

The earthquake in Nepal is now reporting many deaths and unsafe structures. The police and army will be out to help everywhere as the country has limited resources. The police isn't just about criminals and justice, they also help in times of need when there is no one else to ask for help or where to go. There are limited emergency services there and I expect the police are coordinating things.

Having spent time in Nepal, the police are important because they bridge the gap between citizens and the authorities.

Nepal earthquake: Hundreds die, many feared trapped - BBC News

bala

One of those worst earthquakes.I reckon the NGO's are putting in their best to ensure rescue acts.
Death too is already a 450 odd,i hope it doesn't go beyond this.Praying for everyone's safety.

IshieVonDyson

I’ve been reading about this earthquake. So many lives lost, and an entire world heritage site destroyed. Nepal is in my thoughts, and all the praise goes to the police and military who are helping in this emergency situation.

Rosyrain

That is so sad, and you never know where a natural disaster is going to strike. Nepal has many remote areas, so it is going to be hard for rescue workers and police to find everyone. Police are a good and welcomed resource in an emergency situation because they are not all about busting the bad guys, but helping citizens as well. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of Nepal.

Patrick

While police help is definitely appreciated we need more NGOs and possibly military organisations to come in and help as well. Given Nepal's remote and mountainous terrain I would imagine that police alone would not have the best equipment to reach and help all the victims of this catastrophe.

dyanmarie25

This is such a heartbreaking news. That powerful earthquake killed thousands of people, and I'm deeply saddened by this thing. I'd be praying for Nepal.

Gabe

Over 2,000 have perished and the death toll is likely to rise. The police are coordinating international aid efforts as they will know where help is needed the the most as well as helping civillians. In time like this the country must unite and the surrounding countries too, which includes Tibet and India where borders always seem to have issues.

Rebuilding the damaged parts will be very difficult. What do you do with ancient rubble? Many of the buildings were in a poor condition already so the process will be costly and timely.

lushlala

450 lives lost so far is a lot, and I too hope it doesn't stretch far beyond that, if at all. It's heartbreaking and of course the people of Nepal are in my thoughts and prayers too. I can't praise the police and military enough for their rescue effort.

bala

India is helping with disaster relief to neighbor Nepal in big way. and not boasting about it,but just re-assuring people who have taken interest in the scenario right there.Approximately 22 tons of food packets and dry rations, 50 tons of mineral water, two tons of medicines and 40 tents and 1400 blankets. Engineers from IOC and Power grid have rushed to restore power grids. We care about the nations close to us and we would have done the same had it occured in Pakistan also.We want to "Set an example" as to what should be done in times of distress. Jai Hind. Proud to be an Indian