Soldier become officer or other way around?

primalclaws1974

I have heard of police that used to be soldiers. They get used to a certain way of life, and as a civilian they cannot live this way. An officer would be the closest thing to combat/military life. I have also heard of officers (as reserve National Guard for instance) going off to war, but this is more rare, in my view. I have never heard of an officer resigning to become a soldier under non-war circumstances. What do you think is more common?

LitoLawless

I would say that the soldier to police thing would be the most common. I really do believe that they get accustomed to a certain way of life, so much so that they would go for the closest thing to that life.

Profit5500

Basically, police officer's and soldiers have a similar goal and that is to protect the public. Soldiers have to go away in order to protect who they are protecting. Both of them have different training and equipment, but they are here to protect the people who need to be safe. Most of the time Soldiers would transition to being police officers since the military would be enough to handle all the stressful situations of a police officer.

calicer1996

Yes, I have noticed the same thing. It's more common for ex-soldiers to become police officers. They can't function normally or maybe don't want to! The thrill that one gets from this kind of authority is explainable.

primalclaws1974

It is surely more common for soldiers to become police officers. I don't know what each makes, but if someone is leaving the armed services, they are likely not very high-ranking. That means that they probably didn't make that much. The military training might actually get them higher pay as a police officer, even if they have never been one before. I can see tragedy in both professions, but soldiers are usually respected by civilians, and cops not so much, so that might be a kick in the chops to overcome.

shilpa123

I believe that soldiers becoming officers is a common way the people think. It is best for their own interest. After being in the army it is not really easy to live a normal civilian life.

JoanMcWench

Officers going to war after 9/11 was a regular occurrence in the states at that time. Addressing soldiers becoming cops: I think that would be a good idea especially seeing as so many cannot find jobs & become homeless. I do think there has to be a really vigorous vetting process though to make sure there aren't any PTSD issues or mental health problems.

dyanmarie25

I think there are more cases of soldiers becoming police officers than police officers becoming soldiers.

Gabe

Many that go into the army, go at a young age and then they leave and the skills they have are suited to being a police officer. Usually it is a similar routine and it is what they know. Having a good record helps and they usually have firearms skills already and know how to apprehend suspects, so they are really using their training for another job.

GemmaRowlands

I would think that it would be much more likely that you would go from the army to the police rather than the other way round, but I am sure that there are some exceptions to my assumption. I think that the skills that you learn in the army, most of them relating to discipline, could be really helpful when it comes to being a police officer, and not to mention the fact that the fitness levels would help an awful lot as well. I think that although the two careers can be seen as quite similar, they might not be things that people would automatically try to go for, as they are different callings in general. But yes you might certainly get an amount of crossover between the two, with people feeling that they would like a slight change of direction in relation to their career.

Gelsemium

Once the military active duty is over some soldiers might want to continue a career serving the country, so the being a police officer can be a good career.

Rainman

I think soldiers becoming cops is more common because police officers will always be needed. Since most soldiers prefer not to be in the army that long, once they're out [of the army], they may after some time desire to do something that gives them the satisfaction that they're utilizing skills they learned for the good of the community they serve.

At a time of war though [something like WW III] then I believe that more cops would be joining the army to defend their . . .

Gelsemium

Yes, but not in our days. Also, some soldiers might return from war not exactly with the same will of wanting to hold a gun, so that will depend a lot on the situation.

Determined2014

You are right, they might be so used to working under that line, so it make them decide to join the police officers, though it might seem like a demotion, but as long as it keeps them busy.

shilpa123

I truly believe that it is soldiers who become officers. It is definitely not the other way around. The training given to soldiers is useful as a officers also.