Student Suspended For Recording Video Of Teacher Bullying Student

Rainman

Bullying . . . I've been on the receiving end. And the perpetrators were teachers. This sort of bullying never gets the sort of attention it should because parents aren't likely to believe their kids when they are told that a teacher is bullying them. Anyway, now, parents must accept the fact that teachers actually do bully kids in school.

A student whose attempt to protect her friend by recording [what she thought was] a bullying incident.

In the recording the teacher says, "Don't let size fool you. I will drop you….You don't know me, that's all I'm saying. So, don't give me no look.
And
"You're the biggest kid in 5th grade and you're acting like the smallest one…. I wonder what your mom looks like."

wptv.com

She was suspended for 5 days anyway because the video was "illegal."

Gabe

While it is illegal to tape people without their consent, the child was 11 years old and wouldn't have understood the law, therefore the suspension was harsh. As a result the teacher was fired, but because of the excessive use of phones, perhaps all users need to be aware they cannot take photos, videos or record anyone else without their permission?

dyanmarie25

Teachers should uplift and boost their students' spirits and confidence, not to bully them. I remember when I was in high school, my friend videotaped our Physics' teacher while he was using swear words in front of the class. My classmate was caught recording and our teacher even got way more angry. We were really scared that time. He looked like he was about to hit our classmate.

thegrey1

I too was bullied by teachers at a young age. It stays with you forever. This idiot teacher needs to be fired, and the student just needed to be told that you can't secretly record someone. I would get rid of the teacher for not using proper English as well! Why do we allow teachers in our schools who are too dumb or to lazy to teach?

bala

Illegal..? Oh come on,the kid is just 11 yrs old and it really doesn't know all the rules.Why should someone take the consent before filming if its a crime of sorts.?
If i am correct,bullying is a crime right.? Then how can the video be illegal..? Filming a crime is never illegal..right.?

Josie

Illegal, pssh.. it's not hurting someone if it's to record someone who actually is hurting someone. Otherwise, you're just protecting the scum out there. I'm seriously fed up with the system and who it's actually protecting. yes, I'm not discounting those it helps.. but it helps the wrong people far more often then not.

kana_marie

Banned
Wow! I don't even know what to say to this! The words forming in my mind are very appropriate for a forum. I do want to say that of I was the parents of the girl recording she would get a raise in her allowance. I would also make the lives of everyone involved a living hell.

missbishi

So what happened to the teacher then? OK, the girl might have made an illegal video but this does not mean that it's contents should be overlooked. Let's hope that the teacher in question is dealt with accordingly.

mairj23

This shouldn't be illegal. The teacher bullying, should be illegal. Some times you have to take the good with the bad. Without this recording, the techer would have probably gotten away with it. This kid did society a favor and should be rewarded.

May102014

Although I am not a big fan of cellphones with video and cameras, I do feel it is beneficial when recording unethical behavior. There are some teachers who do bully students. I had a teacher bully me as a child and my mom never believed me. She always thought I was being sensitive or exaggerating my emotions. Anyway, the student should NOT be reprimanded for recording a teacher doing something unprofessional. Teachers are held to a certain standard in our educational system. Therefore, they must face the consequence for unacceptable behavior.

westmixxin

So they got suspended for exposing the school's downfall. That's incredibly incriminating to be honest with you in that school probably should be sued for suspending the students for recording a teacher playing the role that a student should be playing to be honest with you. How incredibly embarrassing that institution should be shut down for allowing that teacher to behave in this way.

Whitewolf2578

This teacher sounds pretty funny, I don't see it as "Bullying" though, the kid probably had it coming, plus it is a good way for the kids to learn what is proper. And it would have been illegal because there is a law that states it is illegal to record/Video tape someone without them knowing about, she is lucky all she got was free off days from school!

Gelsemium

That was brave from him. Even if he got suspended, as a parent I would approve what he did because most likely that was the only way he had to catch the teacher, so good job!

thegrey1

I'm not a big fan of them either, but I agree in cases like this, it's great to have them. That's the problem with teachers who mistreat students. It's sometimes hard for a parent to believe this could actually happen at school. When presented with proof, what does the school do? Punish the whistleblower! Whistleblowers should never be punished! I hope the parents sue!