Teachers and guns

halberg

What is your opinion on teachers being allowed to carry concealed handguns on school grounds?

tbrannon44

I agree, I don't think it would be a good idea arming the teachers. Anything could happen. Teacher goes nuts...student takes it away from teacher...and so on. Let's keep the firearms in the hands of trained Law Enforcement Officers.

DancingLady

Not appropriate for teachers. If a school wishes to employ security guards, those would be the people to carry a weapon. It just doesn't seem right for it to be the teachers. Even if they have a permit and training and all, it's not the right role for a teacher to have in the school. A security guard is understood to be a trained professional, so if they carry a gun, everyone understands that the reason they have it is to protect the students and staff.

januz101

What do teachers know about guns and ammo? Under no circumstance should they be allowed to carry hand guns inside school grounds. A school is a place for learning and not for violence, and teachers are no army instructors so why bring a gun at school?

Teens In Crisis

I'm also against it, but lets not pretend that security officers are "trained" law enforcement officers or have any specific training with weapons. While I'm sure that some are, I also know a whole lot of minimum wage security officers that carry, and have never even fired the weapon in practice.

Patrick

I'm against teachers carrying guns, however I could see the case for an emergency weapon locker in a room that is very inaccessible to students but not to high-ranking teaching staff, perhaps the principal's office.

Peninha

I don't think that guns should be allowed in schools, it's a teaching facility, not a place to carry guns.

askanison

I think a teacher having a gun on school grounds would be a horrible idea. Any weapons on school grounds other than one carried by security to me is a bad idea and could have serious drawbacks. Teachers can flip out just as easily as students can and having a weapon readily available is just bad bad news.

Strykstar

Absolutely not!
There should be no guns in schools, teachers are just citizens like any others, they aren't police officers.

camsdad

I would seriously consider home school if I found out teachers were carrying/allowed to bring guns to school. I'm not the biggest gun no matter who's carrying it, but most people who have them jump at the slightest things. No way, no teachers with guns. Sounds like a syfy original waiting to happen.

Onionman

I feel very uncomfortable with this concept. I know we live in a paranoid world but the idea of arming teachers is taking things too far. I just don't see what kind of message that sends to children and youth.

LitoLawless

I think arming teacher with guns is a bit extreme. If I was a kids at a school, I would actually be a bit uncomfortable knowing my teacher was packing. Teachers are suppose to be the ones teaching our kids to use their minds and their words. Arming them with guns would be taking a step in the opposite direction.