Thanksgiving Duty

Patrick

First off, thanks to all the officers who are performing duty during this festive season.

How are the shifts allocated for officers during Thanksgiving? Do they get more pay or benefits?

GemmaRowlands

I would also like to thank everybody who managed to work thanksgiving this year, because it meant that a lot of people got the time to spend with their families.

With regards to how shifts are allocated, from my experience people are given the chance to offer to work, but if nobody wants to do it (or agrees to do it) they will try to do it randomly so that everyone has the same chance of getting a shift. You will usually get paid more on a holiday, and depending on what job you're doing on the day you may have one or two fun things to do at the station! We always had a really good dinner for all of those who were around and not out at the time.

Peninha

I am assuming that they receive extra for that, but at the same time it's the same in Christmas, it just comes with the job.

Nate5

I'm extremely glad to hear that officers that have duty on holidays get paid more. Thank you to those who sacrifice time with their families to keep our cities safe. I've been out on holidays quite a lot, and the officers I sometimes see on patrol still seem very cheerful to me, and respond well when I wish them a happy holiday. Guess the festive cheer is contagious :p

DancingLady

They should get holiday pay, especially since it is so busy on the roads on big travel days. Hopefully they don't have to work full days unless they volunteer for that. I know some would need the money but others would rather be with their family.

milyjohnson

That is great that they get holiday pay for working during those days. A lot of crazy people be on the streets during the holidays so their lives are at risk. They deserve to get more money for being willing to protect people despite the danger to their own lives.