The end of IE

Gelsemium

Yesterday the news came out, Microsoft's Internet Explorer came to an end, after long years surfing the internet. I don't know further details on this, but I think it's the right choice, it was a bad browser.

Patrick

If I'm not wrong it's just terminating the brand, they'll be renaming it as Spartan? IE has actually been improving recently, hopefully Spartan will be on par with Firefox and Chrome in terms of performance and security.

bala

Had you posted this via Internet explorer,just as one last time,it would have taken you 3 days to post in here.Really pathetic.Thank god they themselves saved their dignity.

Rosyrain

I did not hear that news, very crazy since it has been my main internet tool. I just recently got Firefox, so we will have to see how it goes. I do know that there have been a lot of problems with security breeches with IE. There was a major one earlier this year, right?

missbishi

If I'm not wrong it's just terminating the brand, they'll be renaming it as Spartan? IE has actually been improving recently, hopefully Spartan will be on par with Firefox and Chrome in terms of performance and security.

That's how I understood it too. It's just a rebrand to try and move away from the poor image that IE has developed. I have heard that the functionality is much improved so would be willing to give it a try.

Rainman

Would people ditch Chrome and Firefox for Spartan? I think not. Microsoft made a mistake a long time ago and it might be too late for them to correct it. The reason Chrome and Firefox are so popular is because of the thousands of add-ons which extend the browsers' functionality. IMHO it will take Microsoft years to create such a huge number of add ons and whilst they keep working on that, only a few people will be using the browser.

Gabe

Who really uses it anyhow? It's so dated and had more flaws and crashed more times than it worked. People will try it, but people like the browsers they know and trust and with all their bookmarks. I prefer Firefox now and Chrome is okay, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

JoanMcWench

It's just further proof that just because you lead the pack at the beginning doesn't mean you should stop moving. Clearly the pack is going to pass you up & leave a trail of their waste to trudge through as you realize & try to catch up. Microsoft has been full of themselves for too many years. I respect what you brought to the game but you don't Lord over it.

bala

Who really uses it anyhow? It's so dated and had more flaws and crashed more times than it worked. People will try it, but people like the browsers they know and trust and with all their bookmarks. I prefer Firefox now and Chrome is okay, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
There was a joke trending..IF IE has the guts to ask for "Set as default browser",you surely should have the guts to "ask a girl out.." True right..? :p

aparsons

As other people have said, they are getting rid of it, just re-branding. IE received a lot of negative reviews and had a terrible reputation by word-of-mouth. I think its a smart move on windows part, and hopefully this solves many of the compatibility issues present with IE. My friends who code and design websites absolutely hate working with IE compatibility, especially the older versions which may companies still use.

bala

As other people have said, they are getting rid of it, just re-branding. IE received a lot of negative reviews and had a terrible reputation by word-of-mouth. I think its a smart move on windows part, and hopefully this solves many of the compatibility issues present with IE. My friends who code and design websites absolutely hate working with IE compatibility, especially the older versions which may companies still use.
From what i heard,they were re branding it acc to the Cyanogen OS..is it..?
i mean just asking,i didnt know.Also if you have some info that can be useful for a briefing,it will be of great help.

mrsbright

It really does make sense. As far as I know, they did make improvements, but with the reputation they have, no young person would ever be convinced that IE is anything but a joke -- it's a meme, really. So. Rebranding is the only thing they can do -- maybe people would not want to change their browsers, but they might be curious enough to check out the new packaging and all, so they'd have a shot , at least.