Third Jury Fnding

vinceasneed

Some countries have 3 things can jury can do. Those are guilty, not guilty, and innocent. Guilty means that you did it end of discussion. Not guilty means that you could have done it but they don't have the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. And of course innocent you absolutely did not do it. In fact the guy in South Africa that could have killed his wife had a ruling similar to the not guilty verdict I mentioned above. Should the USA have 3 verdicts like this? I don't think it will make a difference.

Muthoni

It is very unfortunate if one is declared guilty when they are innocent. I wonder if a jury can make a verdict to end a case quickly. It must be the best news to be declared innocent during a trial. One is very lucky to be declared not guilty because they have escaped by a whisker. Yes I guess all these verdicts should be available in all regions.

missbishi

Over here, it's simply "guilty" or "not guilty". It is interesting to think about the implications of a "not guilty" verdict as opposed to an "innocent" verdict. To me, it implies that the person being found not guilty is also not innocent. In the UK, the person is either guilty or not, but the background to the case determines the severity of the sentence. So, for example, a woman who killed a physically abusive husband in self-defence would be found guilty of manslaughter but would receive a considerably softer sentence to someone who has killed in cold blood.