Utah votes for a firing squad as the death penalty

Gabe

This seems very backwards to me, but the state has voted to use this method if they run out of the lethal injection. I can't see how they can run out as the US manufactures the most drugs and they clearly have too much time on their hands if they have time to vote and push this bill through. It's not law yet, but could be if the governor signs the bill.

Utah last carried out an execution by firing squad in 2010, when Ronnie Lee Gardner was shot by five police officers using .30-caliber Winchester rifles.

Funny how they played this down as they know they will have a public out cry?

Determined2014

You are right, the U.S manufactures most of the drugs and they do have way too much time on their hands to have the order ready for the excecution day, it is not like they do excecute on a daily basis, but if they did use the firing squad method, that is a very scary and painful way to die, because not every one will die using the same number of bullets.

Josie

2010?? Seriously? Wow.. just talking about it is backwards, but they've actually used it in the very recent past. I'm so very happy to be Canadian some days. Our leader is a dolt, but these would never be allowed. I can't even imagine a province mulling it over lol.. this just seems like a joke. But hey, go for it. They likely think they're sending the bad guy off to his maker, but they're just giving him a quicker out. I'd rather firing squad than lethal injection if it were me, to be honest.

thegrey1

Personally I think this is Utah's business. States have to decide what works best for them. Aside from that, my opinion is that the firing squad is a very quick and efficient means of execution. Of course the "raging debate" about murderers experiencing discomfort during their demise will not be all over the news anymore. In my home state, they're bringing back the electric chair. Can't wait to hear the whining about that one!

missbishi

I know some people are claiming that a quicker death is more humane but I am not convinced. For starters, the inmate is clearly going to be more anxious, knowing that he will be experiencing some extreme pain. It's not going to be a peaceful death at all, neither physically or mentally. Surely it is more humane to allow them to pass away quietly?

Many will say that these prisoners deserve to be shot and shouldn't have any rights granted to them at all. That's understandable but I do think that granting a person a merciful death, regardless of what they have done to warrant the death penalty, sets the actions of the state apart from the actions of the killer. Otherwise, aren't they both just murderers?

stevesxs9

I agree that this is the State's business as to how they want to administer the death penalty in the future. Personally I think that violent criminals who killed by the gun, should be executed by the gun.

thegrey1

I know some people are claiming that a quicker death is more humane but I am not convinced. For starters, the inmate is clearly going to be more anxious, knowing that he will be experiencing some extreme pain. It's not going to be a peaceful death at all, neither physically or mentally. Surely it is more humane to allow them to pass away quietly?

Many will say that these prisoners deserve to be shot and shouldn't have any rights granted to them at all. That's understandable but I do think that granting a person a merciful death, regardless of what they have done to warrant the death penalty, sets the actions of the state apart from the actions of the killer. Otherwise, aren't they both just murderers?
I doubt that their victims were allowed to "pass away quietly." Also, with all the whining about the discomfort these heinous murderers feel, I would think the firing squad would be the best method.... These are sharp-shooters! Believe me, they know how to make a bullet count.

GlacialDoom

I think it's a humane way to go. Given that there are quite a lot of shooters, and that they are well-trained, the victim probably dies almost instantly.

I also think that they've only voted this because they knew they would never run out of lethal injections.

Patrick

I'm pretty disappointed, this is not a particularly humane way of ending a life. I would imagine the process to be fairly painful and slow as the person has to bleed to death. I stand by lethal injection as the most suitable option.

dyanmarie25

I would never be in favor of death penalty. Only God has the right to take someone's life, not any other human being. We have all made mistakes. Who are we to judge someone whether he's still going to live or not? And this horrid news about Utah's alleged method of firing squad as a death penalty makes me cringe in my seat. No way.

Gabe

Yes, it is up to the state, but it hardly makes them look good if they have a death sentence comparable to countries that use it also torture. I don't think the lethal injection is any easier. Imagine being held down against your will and then having a room full of people watch you and who are glad you are going to die.

I just think states have more important things to vote on like the homeless issues and education budgets.

Rainman

Maybe they have a good reason why they want those who are sentenced to death should be shot? The excuse they offer is quite lame. How long does it take to order and receive just one dose for one convict that's making the assumption that only one convict is to be executed in a day? Many people may have not noticed it but there's an attempt to bring back old laws which would give "tyrants" power over their enemies.

Innocent people have been convicted before and now if someone is framed and convicted, they have to face the firing squad? Not great, if you ask me.

Gabe

Many people may have not noticed it but there's an attempt to bring back old laws which would give "tyrants" power over their enemies.

I think you may be right and I see this some of the 'old traditional' states where they abuse their powers by trying to hold on to what they prefer and know rather than what is modern and in line with an evolving society. I don't think this helps, but while these people abuse their power it holds back society from evolving.