What is the best way to make popcorn?

JayeeDolo

Has anyone tried popcorn in a pan like Jiffy Pop or whatever it is called? I don't like to use microwaves for popcorn. Does anyone own a popcorn maker? What is the best one out there? I'd love to make caramel popcorn and maybe some other wild stuff. What are some cool things to add to popcorn? Chocolate for one.

bala

I am kinda your opposite on this.I prefer to use the microwave,for it is a lot faster.It is a lot tastier too because it comes under apt conditions.I love the caramel flavor and butter topped ones,with some mild spice.I love it all.
There is this thing called ACT-II,which is famous for instant pop corns,it is quite preferable for the flavors it lends.

helaofthenorns

I have always used the microwave to make popcorn. I haven't really tried those fancy popcorn makers because they are not available here.

Whitewolf2578

I personally own a popcorn maker and it is pretty useful, a lot better than putting those popcorn bags or trying to do it over the stove. I can add butter or salt to my popcorn, I usually use garlic salt on my popcorn and it makes it taste so good. I actually have corn growing in my garden that I am eventually going to dry out and try to make popcorn from it.

Muthoni

There is a simple way to make popcorn with a pan. Make sure that the pan has enough room to cook the amount of pop corn you want. Put a little butter into the pan, allow melting and pour in the raw corn. Cover with a lid and wait for the popping sound. Turn round with a folk so that those on the top can go to the bottom. Pour in some salt mix well and serve hot.

missamanda819

I just pop my popcorn in the microwave also. Pretty effortless and only takes a couple of minutes.

I've never tried doing it on the stove, so I don't know how much better/worse it would taste. Our church has a pop corn maker and that popcorn is good too, but I don't have the money to go purchase a popcorn maker.

I like to add the ranch seasoning to my popcorn, but garlic salt sounds good too. Around here, my family really likes the kettle corn.

shreklock

It depends on what kind of machinery you have at home. There are some popcorn makers, and they do pop the popcorn very tasty. Though in my opinion the microwave ones are just as good.

shilpa123

I have never made popcorn from the scratch. I think it is a really difficult process, hence I have never bothered to try it. I prefer to make popcorn just like that without much of a fuss. I usually use a pressure cooker to make popcorn.

Patrick

I'd just use a microwave, much easier and no mess. In my opinion there's not much difference in taste ultimately, it just depends on how much butter, sugar and salt you put in.

DancingLady

The best way is in a heavy pot on the stove with coconut oil. You need a heavy bottom pot or it might burn because the heat distribution won't be good. Coconut oil can withstand the heat needed to pop popcorn without turning into trans fats. It also has a great flavor.

megankl

My favorite way to make popcorn is to buy the cheap kernels from the grocery store and use the machine to heat them up and pop them. We buy quality butter and melt it and layer it on top. It is my kids favorite snack and our favorite way to make it :)

nikkilsvgs

The best way to make popcorn is using the old fashioned hot air popper. I got one for Christmas and I love it. Then I pour real butter all over it. It is a lot healthier then the microwave popcorn and tastes a lot better too. If you do not have a hot air popper, you can put kernals in a paper bag and fold over and place in the microwave then pour butter. It is the same effect.

GlacialDoom

I am not a popcorn enthusiast, so I just grab a bag from the store, stick it in the microwave for 2 and a half minutes on High power setting and then eat it all out of the bag while watching whatever movie it is that I'm watching. I don't feel the need to complicate making popcorn.

TonyMHFan

I've only done anything special when I have made popcorn on a few occasions. At one time I had a hot air popper to make popcorn. That didn't last long in the household though as it was one of the worst things I've ever eaten, bland and without taste even with butter applied. I don't know what the microwave does to the popcorn or what the companies like Orville Redenbacher do to the popcorn to make it great, but I have no intention of going back. In addition to simply tasting better, it's certainly more time efficient and probably even more cost effective to buy microwavable popcorn.

Nate5

Yeah, like most of the people in this thread, I just eat microwave popcorn. Jiffy pop seems like a lot of work. I've honestly never seen anyone in the last 10 years of my life making jiffy pop. Not to mention how much extra garbage you're making from the tinfoil pan and cover. Microwave popcorn, you just nuke it for two minutes and you're done. Jiffy pop, you have to monitor it over a stove. Yes please, convenience.

c9h2ua

I have made popcorn by my own once, and I swear to God I will never do it again. It tastes so so so bad, it is much worse than the popcorn that I brought outside. That popcorn is tasteless, just like eating paper (even though I have eaten paper before). HAHA. Anyway, I don't trust those popcorn products that you can buy from supermarket anymore, because I don't want to waste money for buying "Paper"!!!
:eek:

rga1999

I typically buy the kernels like old school times, and cook them in a skillet on the stove. I melt my own butter, and actually use a spray.

admin

Administrator
Staff member
I prefer it in a skillet with coconut oil then topped with Flavacol. Tastes exactly the way it does in the movie theater. Just need to figure out how to make the blue ICEE.[h=1][/h]