What is the correct way to ask for a lawyer?

Patrick

In the hypothetical scenario that you are present at a crime scene and wrongfully arrested, what is the appropriate way to ask for your attorney? From what I've heard the police may attempt to draw some words out of you, and will likely try to deny you access from your lawyer for a couple of hours to get evidence against you. How can you steel yourself and continually demand for access to your lawyer during this time?

Gelsemium

From what I've seen in TV you can remain in silence and you can ask for a lawyer and remain silent until he get there, it's our right.

Patrick

From what I've seen in TV you can remain in silence and you can ask for a lawyer and remain silent until he get there, it's our right.

Thanks for the insight. The thing is, would they take your lack of response and use it against you? They might perceive silence as the suspect being unwilling to cooperate.

Is it better to continuously repeat the words "lawyer" and nothing else until they grant you an attorney, instead of keeping quiet?

DancingLady

I don't think they can use silence against you as they would then be making up what the silence means. Any time an arrest is made, the cops are required to inform the person of their rights, and you do have the right to remain silent until you have an attorney with you to advise you. They might be irritated or think you are not cooperating, but it is your right, you can simply ask for your attorney and not say one more word until they are present.

askanison

It is pretty simple. You say " I wish to speak to a lawyer and I would rather not be questioned at this time." Then you shut up. Do not engage the officers in any way. Do not answer questions pertaining to the incident you were involved in. Do not offer any information at all. The problem with most people is they don't understand that you don't have to answer anything until advised by a lawyer. Dummy up and do not speak. If they ask you normal questions be respectful and answer , but nothing else. Innocent or not your words can be used against you and twisted to suit the needs of an investigating officer.

Patrick

It is pretty simple. You say " I wish to speak to a lawyer and I would rather not be questioned at this time." Then you shut up. Do not engage the officers in any way. Do not answer questions pertaining to the incident you were involved in. Do not offer any information at all. The problem with most people is they don't understand that you don't have to answer anything until advised by a lawyer. Dummy up and do not speak. If they ask you normal questions be respectful and answer , but nothing else. Innocent or not your words can be used against you and twisted to suit the needs of an investigating officer.

Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for!

milyjohnson

This is what I was thinking too. It would be best to keep quiet if the police don't want to let you speak to your lawyer. There's no way they can force you to actually say anything so you can remain silent. That is the first you are told when you are read your Miranda rights so that is what I would keep doing.

Profit5500

From what I can tell you have the right to remain silent until your lawyer gets there. There is no law that says you have to talk to police. If the police try to force you then stand your ground.

bala

Remaining silent is the best way,and when being tested in the court you have the right to ask for a lawyer,but situations vary based on your location.

sillylucy

I think you can say "I would like to speak to my lawyer, please." Or something like "I would feel more comfortable answering these questions with my lawyer present.

januz101

If you are wrongfully accused for a crime of which you are innocent. It is our right to remain silent and ask for a lawyer. If however the arrest happened when the crime has already elapsed 24 hours, ask for a warrant of arrest. If they cant show you any, then the arrest was illegal.