What percentage of officers carry guns off duty?

True2marie

I'll never forget this news story about how a cop shot someone's dog while jogging early morning. He was not on duty, but still had his gun. This made me wonder how many cops carry their guns with them off duty. I am sure it's not everyone, but I imagine the percentage is at least 30%.

Profit5500

Well I think a lot of cops carry his or her gun off duty. Its like a means of protection in case they do get attacked and need a way to defend themselves against a attacker. I do not see any off duty cops when I am walking around.

Muthoni

I think that officers should carry guns when they are off duty. Imagine if they meet with someone they arrested when they are not armed. The criminal would be out to get revenge on unarmed officer. He could be killed for having protected you by removing the criminal from your neighborhood. This is an isolated case of an officer shooting a dog; did he give a reason why he shot it?

Ricardo187

At countries like Portugal, police takes their gear home, so, I'm unsure about the USA but I guess all of the ones that have the option to carry it, do actually carry it as it's a matter of protection.

bala

Actually many..despite them not being allowed to carry it off duty.They call it protection,but i should say,when they are off duty they are just normal human beings and so carry a cop's gun is illegal..ain't it..??
They don't have to carry a gun off duty..DOT.

lei

I think a lot of them do...if not should. I mean, they have their gun license and went through extreme training. Think about how unsafe it is for anyone...then think about a police officer. There might be people secretly after him. The only reason not to have a gun is kids/teens.