What to do when you witness domestic violence?

Kate

Wow that story is freaking. She shouldn't just get away that easily because she says she didn't know he was there. So why did she throw something anyway? It's kind of a broken story.

Why did she throw something? Because... she was mad? They were arguing. Not sure why people throw things, break things, punch things, etc. because I don't do it, but I suppose simply because she was mad.

I don't understand what you mean about "broken story." Wulfman asked if anyone knew a story about a wife abusing a husband, and I said yes, I know one who was mad and threw an appliance at him over the balcony. I consider that abuse... so I'm not sure which part you think is "broken." Care to elaborate?

True2marie

Reporting domestic violence is never easy. One of my neighbors was getting beat up by her boyfriend on a regular basis. Part of me wanted to ignore the sounds I heard coming through the walls (she lives below me), but the other part of me wanted to take action.

Finally, after speaking to a survivor of domestic violence, I started calling the police every time I heard a commotion. Once the cops started showing up on my neighbor's doorstep regularly, she got help. Now, she is free of her old boyfriend and living a much better life.

I saw her today and she seems like a completely different person. Before, she never wore makeup and rarely came outside. Now, she does her hair, face and nails. I see her out and about with friends, etc. So, I am so happy that I got involved because the end result was really positive.

Ricardo187

Why did she throw something? Because... she was mad? They were arguing. Not sure why people throw things, break things, punch things, etc. because I don't do it, but I suppose simply because she was mad.

I don't understand what you mean about "broken story." Wulfman asked if anyone knew a story about a wife abusing a husband, and I said yes, I know one who was mad and threw an appliance at him over the balcony. I consider that abuse... so I'm not sure which part you think is "broken." Care to elaborate?

I said it's a broken story because she should have been punished by law and she didn't. She shouldn't throw things away and if she does, she surely noticed he was there so her story is broken and pure lies, that's what I meant.

Kate

I said it's a broken story because she should have been punished by law and she didn't. She shouldn't throw things away and if she does, she surely noticed he was there so her story is broken and pure lies, that's what I meant.

Ah... yes. I'm sorry I didn't catch it the first time... I should have! :D And I agree so totally. Their friends, both male and female, were talking about how if a man would have done that to a woman, he'd be doing jail time. Not sure why she got off with nothing more than some anger classes.

And yes, you're right that it was all lies. She noticed he was there... she was yelling at him and neighbors saw that, so there was even proof. Oh well... they're no longer together so at least the little ones won't need to see that stuff any longer.

lei

Who cares if gypies are known for that stuff in Europe? You should decided for yourself the true nature of every person...not just a specific type of person. Anyways, to answer your question you should call the cops. Also, be sure that the man does not spot you calling the cops because he could get mad and aggressive towards you.

Ricardo187

Who cares if gypies are known for that stuff in Europe? You should decided for yourself the true nature of every person...not just a specific type of person. Anyways, to answer your question you should call the cops. Also, be sure that the man does not spot you calling the cops because he could get mad and aggressive towards you.

Seeing the amount of situations me and my family faced with camping gypsies, I have a reason to think so myself, regardless of others. From them robbing our store when we had it open, to being aggressive for no reason, death treats over silly things...

I would definitely call the police in a situation like that. However, if I see a mean really beating a woman to where I think that she is in real danger, I will step in and do something. I had a situation like this happen last year where i saw a man beating a woman. When I ran up on him, he pulled a gun on me, but as we were next to a busy street, he turned and fled. I flagged down a motorist to take her somewhere safe and call the police. Although I was scared, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Ricardo187

I would definitely call the police in a situation like that. However, if I see a mean really beating a woman to where I think that she is in real danger, I will step in and do something. I had a situation like this happen last year where i saw a man beating a woman. When I ran up on him, he pulled a gun on me, but as we were next to a busy street, he turned and fled. I flagged down a motorist to take her somewhere safe and call the police. Although I was scared, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That was definitely dangerous for you. If the area was quiet he could have used the weapon to refrain you from defending yourself and hurt you pretty bad, although I understand your instinct. I guess I would do the same if I saw the woman was being beaten up badly and not being able to respond back.