Why does the Sheriff's Department charge you for gas when they serve you a paper?

primalclaws1974

I actually got charged twice when I was younger, because they didn't find me home the first time. Because the county seat is about 12 miles from my house they charged me about what it would have cost for two tanks of gas at the time! This is insane. If I am being served, why should I have to pay to have the papers brought to me? Should it not be the person serving me, or at the very least the county pay for it's own gas?

Rocky55119

I do not believe the sheriff's departments are funded by the state or city. But funded by themselves (experience: I don't have a police department, but sheriffs department) so they need to fund themselves somehow. If you also may notice, some sheriffs departments make you pay anywhere from $50 for days you are in jail, not prison.

primalclaws1974

I do not believe the sheriff's departments are funded by the state or city. But funded by themselves (experience: I don't have a police department, but sheriffs department) so they need to fund themselves somehow. If you also may notice, some sheriffs departments make you pay anywhere from $50 for days you are in jail, not prison.

I haven't spent much time in jail, but I have heard from other people that they were charged by the day, not the whole month. I believe it was $20.00 a day! Yes, it is was county jail, not prison. Prison is the opposite in fact, you can make money (if not paltry amounts) at jobs. Obviously prisons are funded much better than county jails. I would be curious to learn where that money comes from.