9 Yr old accidentally kills shooting instructor

js85

I don't think there's an objective age on firearm safety. I mean, we can all agree that.. say, toddlerhood, might be a little too young. But generally speaking, it's completely subjective as to the age when you're speaking about motor skills, responsibility, discipline, respect, understanding. Especially at the age of nine, being such an age between childhood and being a teenager. One nine year old might think guns are no different than toy guns and flippantly wave it around, while another nine year old knows the ropes better than an adult. I'm not saying this young girl was irresponsible, don't get me wrong. Just as an answer to the question, I think it's completely subjective.

That said..... I think where objectivity does come into play is what weapon you choose to train a child with. When I was learning to shoot, I was given the best fitting, easiest firing, calmest handgun for my physical size, being a novice, and taking into account the environment. I would be really curious to know why they felt an Uzi, of all guns, especially on auto after ONE single shot, was a good idea. Anybody experienced in any sort of gun handling, even if your only knowledge is videogames (the one time that might come in handy), knows what an Uzi is like. I wouldn't even want to look at one the wrong way.

We can all agree it's an awful, awful tragedy. The girl will grow up always knowing what happened, even though it wasn't her fault; and the instructor and his family lost a life unnecessarily. I don't mean to point fingers or anything at all, I just hope some thought goes behind the difference between age appropriateness and weapon appropriateness. Unfortunately, it'll cast a negative light on firearms when it should cast a negative light on the amount of education and responsibility required.

bala

Arrgh.I was pretty sure it must have been the recoil of the gun.Rather than switching to full automatic mode,he should have stayed with single.How can a 9 yr old handle an uzi..Full automatic.?,..you must be out of your minds.
What decision was made on this.Was this investigated on,or left at "unnatural" cause.

Heyshiloh

I don't think the question is about what age is appropriate for children to start learning (myself and quite a few of my friends included started shooting around that age), but rather are the places they're learning regulated and operating correctly? You shouldn't start a kid off with an automatic firearm, due to recoil and how to adapt to that, and a real instructor should know that. They also don't really have the "basic rules" of a firearm completely in their head (all firearms are loaded, always, etc), so the situation can become very dangerous, as it did. Teaching someone to shoot an automatic weapon their first time is like teaching a first time driver in a semi.

Kate

Arrgh.I was pretty sure it must have been the recoil of the gun.Rather than switching to full automatic mode,he should have stayed with single.How can a 9 yr old handle an uzi..Full automatic.?,..you must be out of your minds. What decision was made on this.Was this investigated on,or left at "unnatural" cause.

I haven't heard if there are going to be any kind of charges or anything (I assume not.) But my main question is the same as yours... it was an *UZI* not a little handgun or anything. 9 years old... sometimes you just have to wonder what people are thinking.

Self protection is one thing if you're teaching a kid how to use a handgun, but this?! This wasn't about protection because who carries one of those around in a purse for protection?

Muthoni

I was actually surprised when I saw this story. It is so sad that violence has escalated to the extent that a 9 year old needs to learn how to shoot someone. This is such a tragic ending to the trainer because they died in their line of work. This nine year old could become traumatized if she does not receive professional help because she is responsible for the death of this trainer.

nikkilsvgs

I have seen this story all over Facebook and my husband and I just discussed it. This is tragic and I agree that this 9 year old is going to be traumatized. Our question is this though, what is a child at 9 years old handling a semi automatic weapon for. At that age they are not ready to shoot a gun at that caliber and certainly not even hold one. They need to be started off with a smaller handgun.

I have a 10 year old girl and I would not let her anywhere near an automatic weapon. She is not mature enough to handle something like that. Really I do not think automatic weapons of any kind should be available to the general public even with a spotless record. It is to easy now a days for anybody to get hold of them. With all the shoot outs and killings going on these weapons should be locked up in an infrantry some where.

bala

I haven't heard if there are going to be any kind of charges or anything (I assume not.) But my main question is the same as yours... it was an *UZI* not a little handgun or anything. 9 years old... sometimes you just have to wonder what people are thinking.

Self protection is one thing if you're teaching a kid how to use a handgun, but this?! This wasn't about protection because who carries one of those around in a purse for protection?
I too assume there won't be any charges on that gal.The instructor must have been carefree assuming he had rich experience and that safety could be easily ensured.At least this serves as a lesson to people who think safety ain't a big concern.

kaitheteen

I wasn't too shocked when I heard this news. I just think it was a bad decision to let a 9 year-old, with little to no upper body strength, to spray with a full auto uzi. Just bad decisions.

Profit5500

I don't think a uzi is a good weapon to teach a nine year old with at the range. I think she should have had something like a Glock 17 or a MK 22 handgun. A uzi is too much and its clear that she was capable of handling a full auto uzi.

dariel2323

Very small to learn how to shoot. I had not heard the news until today. It surprised me very much, it is a rare and very tragic news, but I really do not understand why the instructor taught him to shoot a 9-year-old boy. Thank you for sharing.