Accident investigations

Rosyrain

I was just driving home from the grocery store and saw a huge police presence up the road and I was stuck in a huge traffic jam where there usually aren't any, except for during the evening commute times. When I finally got to pass the accident I saw that a roll off truck had hit the overpass for the interstate. The truck was totally mangled and there was a big chunk of concrete taken out of the bridge. It got me to wondering, how does stuff like that happened. Have you ever passed an accident investigation and wondered the same thing?

timelord731

Yeah, when you have a giant metal machine colliding with other fast moving machines then physics demands that one or both have to have a consequences.

PriscillaKing

How it happens? When a small car hits a bridge, the car shows most of the damage. When a big rig hits a bridge, the bridge shows damage too.

Or were you thinking about why it happens...as in drivers on drugs, drivers on phones, drivers falling asleep...?

shilpa123

I do believe that when two vehicles hit each other damage is seen on both the ends. I don't think anything else had to be the reason for it. I do believe that most of the accident, the vehicle get most of the damage.

bala

You know that accidents are always a mishap that is done unknowingly.
Well i was at an investigation once because my friend was the victim then.In this case the truck driver might have lost control and would have hit the over pass.
Investigations don't really happen because cops mostly would only want to wrap up a case when they are offered a lumpsum.

dyanmarie25

I also got stuck in a heavy traffic before due to an accident, not to mention, it was my college graduation day that time. I was really pissed because I was running late for the graduation ceremonies, but at the same time, I felt really bad for those people who weren't that fortunate enough and died eventually because of that accident.

Rosyrain

How it happens? When a small car hits a bridge, the car shows most of the damage. When a big rig hits a bridge, the bridge shows damage too.

Or were you thinking about why it happens...as in drivers on drugs, drivers on phones, drivers falling asleep...?

It was a "why it happened" question. I saw on the news later that evening that the hydraulics on the truck failed and so the roll off arm came up without the driver of the truck knowing it. There is a huge gaping hole in the overpass.