An officer's attitude while on duty

primalclaws1974

It can be argued that if you give an officer an attitude, you are more likely to receive more swift and a worse consequence. A warning will likely turn into a ticket, or worse. The other way around, can an officer be bleak and unfriendly all the time, and get away with it? I don't see many police people with smiles on their faces. If you ask them something on the street or at the station, many barely grunt at you. I suppose their commander's are probably the same way, so there probably is no consequence for them. What do you think?

ally79

Not so much at the station but out in public you have to keep in mind that they may have just gotten off a bad call. Police officers see some really terrible stuff from car accidents to murdered children and you can't really expect them to be happy and chipper all of the time.

LitoLawless

I think an officer should always be respectful to anyone they encounter. They are suppose to be our protectors and they have a tendency to want to strike fear into someone's heart. They should also be as helpful as possible.

jeremy2

It can be argued that if you give an officer an attitude, you are more likely to receive more swift and a worse consequence. A warning will likely turn into a ticket, or worse. The other way around, can an officer be bleak and unfriendly all the time, and get away with it? I don't see many police people with smiles on their faces. If you ask them something on the street or at the station, many barely grunt at you. I suppose their commander's are probably the same way, so there probably is no consequence for them. What do you think?

I think this is one stereotype that the police force need to break from.Customer is an integral part in any organization and the police should strive to make their unit more people friendly.How they interact with public will go a long way in changing their image for the better.

pattycake

Well, it's no doubt that being well spoken is better and more effective than tactlessness and lacking control over your emotions with it, but I think that it's an imbalance that people are expected to be well poised with the police no matter what and the police are free to be the opposite. That being a cop in itself places the victory of every dispute in the police's favor.

This is the wrong social structure to support a society with because it encourages power tripping and disarms and cripples humanity.

primalclaws1974

Thank you all for the answers. In the past, police officers were required to be polite. The "friendly neighborhood patrolman" was a real thing, and not just something you saw on black-and-white TV shows. A police person with a nice, upbeat attitude is going to instill trust in the people he is suppose to protect and serve. Ally, I understand that they have a hard job to do, but they chose to do it. Can I go into Wal-Mart after a bad day and be an ass to the clerks? Yes, but probably not without a consequence. It should be the same here.

Peachdejour

I guess I'm pretty fortunate. I live in a suburb where we have one of the largest police forces and I hardly ever see them being disgruntled. However, I've worked with police on some of their worst calls. It's hard to keep a smile on your face after you've chased down a suicidal man for the fourth time that day. It's hard when you've come off a domestic call when there are children there and the woman won't leave. There is such a thing as occupational burn out and maybe we have the right to ask our officers to watch out more for each other. However, our cities keep cutting the forces and they don't have the luxury of taking time when the stress is getting too thick. Perhaps, we need to cut them a little slack. I don't see every one of us walking around with a friendly face on. Maybe we need to start with ourselves.

SamClemensMT

I'm sorry but I don't think it matters. Cops are not car salesmen. They don't have to be friendly. I appreciate that it would be nice, but come on. All I want my police to be is good at fighting crime and protecting property.

SamClemensMT

LOL, strike fear in your heart? I would only feel that way if I were breaking the law. Just be respectful and act normal when you're in contact with police. They are human beings just like us. They have families, friends, fears, hopes, and dreams.