Another officer shot dead by fellow officer

Anthony

Super Moderator
  • Ocala police say one of their officers has died after being shot during firearms training on Monday.Officer Jared Forsyth, 33, was rushed to a Ocala Regional Medical Center in critical condition and immediately taken into surgery, but he later died from his injuries. According to a police spokesperson, the accidental shooting happened just before 3:30 p.m. at a gun range at the Lowell Correctional Institution, at 3700 NW 111th Place in Ocala.Because the Florida Department of Law Enforcement is investigating the incident, few details of the shooting are being released at present time, and another officer who was involved is not being named."Words cant express the sorrow that I feel for losing an officer under my watch. I just pray I don't lose two. If you pray, please pray for my officer, pray for the one who didn't survive, and pray for the one that hopefully will survive this," said Ocala Police Chief Greg Graham.Officer Forsyth joined the force in April of 2012. He leaves behind a mother and a stepfather.

Shimus

That's sad. Whenever friendly fire/accidents happen to claim lives, it's always sad no matter the circumstance. He wasn't even in a fight/wartime, and he still gets killed. I feel for their family.

jeremy2

That's quite tragic. No one could come to terms when he kills a colleague accidentally. This incident could traumatize the friends of the slain officer for a long time to come.

Diane Lane

I certainly hope it was accidental. It seems these days, we can't make that assumption. I'm interested to learn more, after a full investigation.

JoanMcWench

It's the risk of working such a dangerous job, sadly. Even a police officer that if off duty lives with a higher potential of dying by the gun. I feel all the sympathy in the world for his friends & family.

Gabe

You don't hear of many of these incidents where people are shot on a training exercise. They will have to step up protocols and procedures and whoever was in charge, needs to be retrained. A very tragic accident, but shows again, guns are dangerous, even when they are not being misused.