Anybody using dash cams

tbrannon44

Anybody using dash cams for regular patrol, please shoot me a PM. My department is in the beginning stages of possibly doing this.

Profit5500

Anybody using dash cams for regular patrol, please shoot me a PM. My department is in the beginning stages of possibly doing this.
Wait your department does not have the dash cams yet? I thought most departments have them in their patrol cars.

bravetran

I am just a civilian but I thought most police cars have dash cams. At least by now? My friend has dash cams for his cars and trucks because you can never be too careful and in case of a fender bender these can prove really useful.

JoanMcWench

Is it possible to point your dash cams in another direction other than the one it is meant to be pointed in? Are officers reprimanded if they do this?

bala

It can be used to record any illegal activity or as a proof for an accident and then insurance,that's it.In here,it is considered illegal as far as i know.
I would say,its pretty much useless because we have the CCTV's everywhere and this really isn't needed now.

PhilA

I am thinking about using one in my personal vehicle. The chance of me catching anything is near to zero, but if you do catch something it can save you thousands in insurance, or earn you thousands on YouTube!

Ricardo187

I actually thought it was mandatory to have your dashcam on at least in pull-over situations when they have to do sobriety tests and such, so they can have proofs in court cases.

SamClemensMT

These cameras should be mandatory for your own protection. Roll the video, and it's case closed, as the world can see what happened. You deserve this peace of mind.

Profit5500

These cameras should be mandatory for your own protection. Roll the video, and it's case closed, as the world can see what happened. You deserve this peace of mind.
I some departments just do not have the budget to have dashcams in the patrol cars. I have not seen a police department that did not have a dashcam inside the car. I think that the idea of the camera on the uniform is a greater idea so this way the officer would rethink what they do while approaching a suspect.

primalclaws1974

I thought dash cams were in all police cruisers? This really surprises me. Would you mind sharing what community (or state) you are from? Why would they not being using them before now? Is it because you work in a low-crime area, or is the budget tight? I think it would be in your best interest for safety to get them as soon as possible. Good luck to you!

Nate5

I think most of my local police use dashcams now. I don't see a problem with it, since they can be used to prove if something happened or not. I myself own a dashcam. I'm finding it more of a pain, but you never know when the situation calls for one, and you'll be glad to have one installed.

LitoLawless

I think that most police forces without dash cams are probably in low crime areas. Maybe they feel as though it'll be a waste and if anything happens, the report will have all the information they need to know.

These places are probably full of crooked cops! Just kidding...half kidding.

LitoLawless

I was under the impression that all cops used dash cams. I thought that they have to at least have them installed, but I also thought that not all of them would have it on. I must say, it's quite alarming to know that not all of them have dash cams.

ally79

I imagine that all law enforcement personnel have dash cams in the car now. Whether the officer operating the vehicle has the ability to turn them on and off I don't know. I know our city cops cannot. The dash cam runs automatically and it can be viewed remotely.