Are People More Callous These Days?

Rainman

People who witness a crime these days are more likely to film it rather than step in and help the victim. Late last year when a female McDonald employee beat up a mother and threatened the woman's child, no one intervened. Someone nonetheless recorded the whole thing and posted it online.

Earlier today I stumbled into something even worse. A woman sleeping in a New York subway train was sexually assaulted by a man. Whoever filmed the incident did nothing to help.

Has social media made people more callous? Would they rather film a vid that might go viral instead of helping someone?

Gabe

I think people have lost their compassion thus humanity and society aren't evolving, but devolving. There are more video clips and stories of people passing people on the street when they are being beaten up or injured because they are late or on their phone. People need to realize if the roles were reversed, wouldn't they want someone to help them? Instead we get video clips showing how great someone is when they do help, that should be the norm, but sadly it is now rare.

Josie

That person wouldn't have helped anyway.. I guess the "silver lining" is that there is evidence of the crimes now? People haven't gotten more anything. There are now billions of people on this planet and most of us share the same traits (running from danger etc), but there are always good people.. unfortunately, our instinct to run is more powerful, so those good, fearless people aren't usually around.. they're heavily out numbered. I wouldn't call someone a bad person for fearing for their own safety though in these situations.. but it does make me ill when it happens. If I saw a woman being raped you could bet on me finding the strength to whip a train at him and get her out of there.

Gelsemium

I think people are more callous these days for the simple reason that we are being accustomed to death and other situations. Human lives and well being is the most important, but that's not the message our leaders pass.

thegrey1

I don't think it's social media that's the problem. Personally I think it's crappy up-bringing. People have taught their kids to be selfish and spoiled. The kids I know take great pride in being independent, instead of interdependent.

Diane Lane

I agree with pretty much everything that's already been said here. One issue is that many nowadays have been taught to value high self-esteem above all else, including character, and qualifications. As long as people feel good about themselves, that's all that matters, whether or not they're actually good people. Many movies, games, and songs, teach the young their values, because their parents are too busy working, or aren't present. There's a lot of negativity and callous disregard for others in lyrics and story lines, and children, teens, and young adults nowadays have been exposed to these messages from very young ages, so the message has sunk in. There are lots of parents out there living life, working hard, and trying to provide for, and give children everything they want and need, and everything the parents feel they missed out on growing up (experience-wise and materially), but, they need to realize that kids need their time and attention more than material items and participating in every activity imaginable. It's the time spent within the family unit that forms the child's perception of the world, and teaches him/her how to interact with others. If s/he sees parents giving and receiving respect, consideration, and caring, s/he will learn empathy and compassion, and that will eventually translate to the community at large.

bala

I don't think it's social media that's the problem. Personally I think it's crappy up-bringing. People have taught their kids to be selfish and spoiled. The kids I know take great pride in being independent, instead of interdependent.
Ahh..Rightly said.The generation in the name of evolving is going back in traces.Not many do selfless acts.
I really am hating the system and the people who beleive this is the CHANGE

kana_marie

Banned
There is no doubt people are more calloused now. I think that there are also people who aren't necessarily more calloused, but are more scared. They don't want to get involved and risk getting hurt themselves. Ive noticed a lot of todays heroes are people the manoritynof folks are terrified of. these are the people who aren't scared. When it comes to walking past a homeless person who desperately needs help (and it happens to homeless children as well), and not even glance at them that is about being more calloused. And its really sad.

dyanmarie25

They could be callous, or they just don't want to intervene at all because they are kind of scared of getting involved and being hurt in the process as well.

JoanMcWench

No one wants to get involved with these things but they have no problem getting famous because of these things. That's the world we live in today. how many hits can this video of a crime get on YouTube as opposed to who can I contact about this crime I witnessed.

Profit5500

People who witness a crime these days are more likely to film it rather than step in and help the victim. Late last year when a female McDonald employee beat up a mother and threatened the woman's child, no one intervened. Someone nonetheless recorded the whole thing and posted it online.

Earlier today I stumbled into something even worse. A woman sleeping in a New York subway train was sexually assaulted by a man. Whoever filmed the incident did nothing to help.

Has social media made people more callous? Would they rather film a vid that might go viral instead of helping someone?
I feel for the woman who was sexually assaulted which I am not surprised with how the person who recorded felt. I would have just reported those incidents so it would not be a huge problem.

shilpa123

I do believe that some people are quite very callous. I do not know the reason but I do believe one must be very careful and not be sad about it.

wahmed

Its scientifically proven that when you have authority your brain matter changes and you have diminished empathy. I think the ability to film and upload these videos online allows people to think they have authority.

Onionman

I do think that people's perspectives of how to look at crime has changed. We live in a reality TV culture and social media allows us to think that we're part of it all. It's scary that people would rather film than intervene. I think this was almost like the film 'Showtime' with Eddie Murphy and Robert De Niro.

FuZyOn

Sadly yes, that's how the society treats people today! No one is really brave enough to step up for someone those days, and the people that do are very rare.
Those social media networks and the need for attention has clogged up people's minds.

Gelsemium

loool, so crappy upbringing? That's a way to put it, but I am a parent and I can assure you I give my best, society is more complicated and has seen more evil, I think that's pretty much it.

stevesxs9

I agree with the fact that most people are more concerned about the publicity their videos will receive rather than lending a helping hand. If I'm not going to help someone I'm sure as hell not going to record them being brutalized by others. I know its hard to break up something when you have a gun pointed at you, but still there's somethings we can do afterwards to assist the victim and the Police.

mrsbright

People feel unconcerned when they see something happening if they are in a crowd especially -- they figure someone else will act. If someone else starts to help, they might be broken out of their "unhelping" frozen state -- or if you are in trouble with your friend, it helps to call out people precisely to ask for help. "You, with the red shirt, call 911! You with the baseball cap, help me move this!"

ABC123

Yes, I think there is a growing number in the population that are callous. They are so self involved that they are not passionate for others. People are more about the their own entertainment and thrills. It is not all, but the number of insensitive people is growing. Turns my stomach about the story in the original post.

westmixxin

I think in their real lives people are subjected to so much pain and hate that they lash out on the Internet. They latch on the Internet and he makes it seem like everyone in the universe is incredibly evil are countless. Realistically this is just their way of venting their frustration with the world. They're not really even that type of person they just need some sort of outlet.