Are police academies selecting future officers properly?

JulianWilliams

I was wondering about this issue. Are police academies doing a good job weeding out the people who are likely to not be good police officers? What characteristics are they looking for in new officers?

LitoLawless

You have to wonder sometimes, don't you. I would assume like most schools, there are those that are favored above the others. Maybe some people pass when they really shouldn't have and things like that.

Mackmax

I sure hope so. Hopefully they'll start firing the corrupt cops who pick and choose which criminals they want to arrest. I've read about many police officers actually being active members of the KKK! It boggles my mind how people in groups known for racist hate crimes are granted jobs involving justice. At the same time, there are many corrupt cops who perform their job very well, so it'd be hard to let your best man go, even though it must be done. Police academies definitely need to review the policemen they have employed under their force.

JulianWilliams

I remember seeing a documentary about violence in Florida in the 70's due to the drug trafficking that was going on there and the police's response was to suddenly hire a large number of policemen, a lot of which later turned out to actually be traffickers themselves who only became policemen to help with their trafficking.