Are police shows like "Cops" authentic?

Shimus

With the term "Reality TV" and then "Cop Shows" get thrown on - sure you'll see how they act, how they maintain the law, but the actual law they're enforcing in those episodes may be twisted to give their show an action stance or a compilation of videos to make a car-chase scene look pretty cool. It's all bits of real life and honesty mixed with lies, deceit, and entertainment boiled down into one show.

Gelsemium

I don't think it's like reality, I mean, I think they make it look a little different or else it would be engaging to watch, I think there is a pedagogic component to it, to explain to the audience what is happening.

Kandi

I do think the cop shows are real but the shows are not going to show anyone getting hurt or losing their life for real if they were in that sort of situation.

IshieVonDyson

I would think some aspects are embellished and others downplayed. These shows are meant for entertainment so by their very nature, they won’t be 100% authentic. Does make me wonder if there are people out there who may have wanted to join the police force because of shows like ‘Cops’ and then became incredibly disillusioned when they realized it’s not like that at all…

lushlala

I also believe that it's real to a certain extent. It has to be made TV ready and a few spices added to jazz it up for entertainment and ratings, no doubt. Many police officers will tell you that their job is not as "glamorous" as it made to look in some police shows LOL

Diane Lane

I agree, it's real, but heavily edited. Obviously riding in a patrol car for 8 hours is probably boring, and they're not going to show that, because viewers would become bored, and change the channel. It seems they follow certain officers who are probably assigned to particular sectors, because they know there will be action in those areas that will appeal to viewers. We all know certain parts of town are more active with regard to police activity, so those are the ones they most likely focus on for the show. Certain areas are known for specific activity, as well, not just crime in general. People on the street know which sections to visit for drugs, prostitution, etc., and so do the police officers, and those filming/creating shows like Cops. I think the show gives a decent portrayal of what happens during the active parts of some shifts, and I find it entertaining.

katherine25

My guess is the show is a set up and the cops are scripted. I know a lot of reality TV shows start out as a real show and then eventually become scripted because they want to keep filming but have run out of interesting stuff so the ratings start to drop and they get desperate.