Are potential police officer background checks more thorough than other professions?

primalclaws1974

I have seen in the news lately a lot of teachers that are getting in trouble for drugs, or messing around with their students. People keep asking why the school didn't dig deeper, because a news agency found something that should have kept them from being hired in the first place. Yeah, hindsight. But a policeperson has high authority, and carries a deadly weapon. I would think their background check would go back as far as when they were eighteen.

Determined2014

Re: Are potential police officer background checks more thorough than other professio

I would think that they would give sopmeone applying to be a cop a more detailed background check, because this person will be dealing with many risky things.

SamClemensMT

Re: Are potential police officer background checks more thorough than other professio

I would think that they would give sopmeone applying to be a cop a more detailed background check, because this person will be dealing with many risky things.
There are professions and occupations where the public depend so heavily upon a person being responsible. In such instances we have to be rigorous in our vetting. You know, airline pilots, brain surgeons, and our police officers. They must be the finest among us, because we depend on them with our lives. I also happen to feel that teachers need the same degree of vetting. We place our future in their hands.