Are there any laws that prevent me from drinking alcohol on the street?

Ricardo187

I think you can, yes. If you don't show any intent to drive though, else, it might become a problem. Why I said this? Because at a Party for example, you come out with drinks and drink outside in the public so as long as you don't get drunk, you should be good.

askanison

That would depend on where you live I imagine. I can sit on my porch or on my property and drink all I want, but if I walked into the street it can be considered public drunk. I wouldn't sit in my car just anywhere and drink though. I have seen many articles about people sleeping it off in there car and getting a DUI so I would think just sitting in your car drinking would be considered the same.

Kate

Can I drink alcohol on the street or seated in my parked car without intent to drive it?

Well now, if you're in the U.S. I guess the thing that would first prevent it is if you're under 21, eh? :)

Other than that, and assuming you're over 21, you could surely have your drink on your own property... but "on the street" can call public intoxication charges into play. And in a car? No, that doesn't seem like a wise choice under any circumstances... *everyone* who'd be questioned in that scenario would claim they weren't planning to drive. I doubt that many would be believed... I know I wouldn't believe it.

wulfman

There is a law in NY that you cannot start drinking alcohol until noon. So people who bought alcohol before noon to drink from the grocery store would take it and drink it from a brown paper bag. Dunno if that law is still in affect. Or the purpose of such a law. So you can get wasted in the night but not in the morning ? LMAO

askanison

Our county was dry until just last year, but you could go five miles in any direction out of town and buy it. Was really pointless because that is exactly what everyone did. There was huge opposition against going wet by the churches but they eventually passed it after having it on the ballot over and over. Nothing has changed, people still drink just like they used to. Only big difference is we have package stores and they sell beer and wine in the grocery stores now.

Ricardo187

Well now, if you're in the U.S. I guess the thing that would first prevent it is if you're under 21, eh? :)

Other than that, and assuming you're over 21, you could surely have your drink on your own property... but "on the street" can call public intoxication charges into play. And in a car? No, that doesn't seem like a wise choice under any circumstances... *everyone* who'd be questioned in that scenario would claim they weren't planning to drive. I doubt that many would be believed... I know I wouldn't believe it.

I think you can't be charged for intoxicated driving unless you're seen doing it though. If you just sit in the car, that's no proof that you did or will drive under influence.

ic3squid

I'm not sure, but you can get charged for driving under the influence of Alcohol if a police officer notices your driving and pulls you over.

Shawn

Can I drink alcohol on the street or seated in my parked car without intent to drive it?

Depending on where you are, public intoxication is a crime and you can be cited and even detained and arrested for doing it. Open container laws are also the norm for those who have open alcoholic beverages in their vehicles. If your keys are in the ignition, some places can charge you with a DUI or DWI no matter if the vehicle was moving or not. The best way to not find out if its illegal is to drink inside or around an area where its allowed.

PhilA

This is tough question because it depends where you live. Cops where I live are entitled to stop you drinking in your car if they believe you may try and drive, and that is their call. Drinking in the street is absolutely not allowed.

GemmaRowlands

It very much depends on the area that you're in at the time. Of course, once you have had a certain amount of alcohol, there is no way that you should be driving the car. There is a chance that any passing police vehicle would stop to question your intent about that, but on the whole as long as you're not doing any harm you should be okay. Unless, as I say, there is a specific rule - some UK city centres have alcohol free zones which are enforceable by the law.

Ricardo187

I've seen a youtube vlog where the guys at America was drinking out on the street and one commented they shouldn't be. I'm pretty sure it was in LA, so I'm not sure now.

primalclaws1974

Depends where you are, even within America. I would say even without a law, and even without you being drunk, a police officer is not bound to let you drink in a park with children around. I personally wouldn't want to risk it, even without being drunk. It would not be hard for the officer to assume you are drunk and haul you in for being drunk in public. It doesn't take much alcohol to be over the legal limit these days.