Babysitter’s 11-Year-Old Daughter Allegedly Beat Infant To Death

I would lay money on the odds that the child who did this has been abused, and severely, herself. I also have to wonder if 11 is old enough to be watching a helpless baby. Infants are a lot more work and far more fragile than toddlers or preschoolers. When my own child was 11 I would let her work as a mother's helper with those age groups, or with a neighbor right across the street from us so I was home if she had any problems, but not with infants. No one with infants ever asked for a child that young to work, either. Sad, sad case. The family, should they be allowed to keep this child, will have to move away from that area if they want her to have any hope of growing up apart from this mess. I don't really know that they *should* get her back.

thomas pendrake

It seems as if mental health is not necessarily something that is being addressed properly in America and it seems to be getting out of control because the mental stability of our citizens seems to be in question over the past few years.
The fact that mental health is so under treated in America has a lot to do with the "great pervaricator" and his attitude when Governor of California. He said that there were no crazy people, just lazy people wanting to live off the state. Some police officers seem to think that mental illness is a crime.( others know better)

thomas pendrake

The parents must have been pretty irresponsible if they just left their baby with an 11 year old. Probably the parents are drug addicts and on welfare. The probably went out to buy more booze and drugs and then found some 11 year old kid to look after the baby. Maybe the 11 year old kid was also a drug addict.
The eleven year old was not babysitting the infant, her mother was. Besides getting that wrong, you are obviously a very prejudiced person, an example of the reason Reich-wingers need to read Matthew 25:31ff ( that is in the Bible).

thomas pendrake

The mother of these two children should be charged with child neglect. Children today are too bad and aren't taught anything as like past generations. A very tragic situation here that saddens me deeply. Goes to show, never have kids with a sorry excuse for a mother.
Which of the two mothers involved are you talking about. Read the article.

thomas pendrake

After reading the comments, I am shocked at how many people commenting obviously did not read the article. The eleven-year old was not babysitting, her mother was. The baby was not the 11 year old's sister.

I also am concerned that the author of the article seemed unhappy that the eleven year old CHILD could not be tried as an adult (some states allow that, and would even allow a young child to be executed .

westmixxin

I don't understand why a young girl to actually kill her sister. And makes no sense to me it's almost a situation where you have to look into the parents. You have to look at the parents in a different light and understanding exactly what kind of upbringing they were implying on their daughter.

Strykstar

While we can say that obviously the 11-year-old need psychiatric treatment, a lot of blame is on the mother, how can she just fall asleep on the couch while babysitting a toddler?

CiCiJackson

Okay??? So why isn't the mother being charged? I would never leave my 11 month year old with another child. I have an 19 month year old baby and I understand how tough babies can be, especially during their first year on my own mental state, let alone an 11 year old. The mom should have been charged for sure. Sigh... hearing stories like this really just make my stomach churn. I mean it's unfortunate that children are being brought in this world to such irresponsible adults. It is sickening. I am glad the 11 year old was not charged as an adult. I mean her entire life would've gone by without her really realizing the extent of her actions.

SF13

I am not even sure what to say about this. If the girl was a few years older, I'd say throw her in jail and let her rot for the rest of her life. At age 11, though, I am not sure what should be done.

She definitely needs to be kept isolated from her family and being stuck in correction till 21 is the least that should happen. This was no tragic accident. This was a child murdering an infant. People who feel sorry for the 11 year old girl have a right to their opinion, but I would prefer a child who can murder an infant with her bare hands, to be forced into psychiatric treatment and to stay there as long as possible.

katherine25

This is very scary. Where does an 11 year old learn this from? When I was 11 I loved babies and was very nurturing towards them. I would guess that this 11 year old was probably abused at home and its so heartbreaking. There needs to be some investigating into the child's situation at home.

Josie

I won't speculate, I wasn't there and this is bad reporting. My thoughts are with the families..

lushlala

That girl has some serious issues! I mean, what drives an 11 year old girl to do something so blood curdlingly heinous?! It also seems to me that it was calculated and premeditated, for her to have actually taken the baby upstairs and done what she did before calmly returning downstairs and waking up her mum! This girl is scary, she needs to be assessed for mental issues and taken somewhere. Clearly she can't be tried as an adult. What gets me is just how sound asleep was her mother not to have heard anything as all this was going on?? Maybe I'm just too light a sleeper, IDK.