Boston Bombing Lawyers Denied Delay In Jury Selection

Onthemark

attachment.php

Lawyers for accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wanted to postpone jury selection for the trial by at least a month due to the recent deadly attacks in France. Their reason behind the request would give some time "for the extraordinary prejudice flowing from these events and the comparison of those events to those at issue in this case to diminish."

Potential jurors were instructed to avoid media reports about Tsarnaev's case, however they saw the news about the French attacks. "Almost immediately after the attacks, the press, politicians, and commentators drew parallels between the French attacks and the Boston Marathon bombing," the lawyers stated.

However, jury selection will continue after Judge George O'Toole Jr. denied the motion early Wednesday morning. After looking over the jury questionnaires filled out from the previous week, Judge O'Toole stated; "has so far confirmed, rather than undermined, my judgment that a fair and impartial jury can and will be chosen to determine the issues in this case."

In the Boston Marathon, authorities suspect Tsarnaev and his older brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, planned and carried out the attack at the finish line April 15, 2013. Three people were killed and more than 260 were injured when twin bombs explode.

Tsarnaev has pleaded not guilty to 30 charges connected to the bombing. He could face the death penalty if convicted. Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed during a gunfight with police, four days after the deadly bombing.

[video=youtube_share;yUIUVC7AmMk]http://youtu.be/yUIUVC7AmMk[/video]

Attachments

• Tsarnaevcase.jpg
    Tsarnaevcase.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1,225
Last edited by a moderator:

missbishi

"Extraordinary prejudice"? For crying out loud, three people died! I'm glad to see that the court denied this request - how could the lawyers possibly believe this to be the case? They are obviously clutching at straws in an attempt to keep him off Death Row.

Gelsemium

I agree, but justice will always be bureaucratic and will always take it's time regardless of the severity of the actions. Sometimes I feel that criminals have more rights that we do.

Gabe

I was in the area on the day it happened and the trial needs to be in Boston. There has been little said recently, but as the anniversary approaches it will be a focus again and hopefully some kind of justice will be done.

shandrum

I pray justice is done in this case. I agree- it takes way too long for criminals to receive their sentences for their acts of crimes they have committed. It's coming up on two years, which is way too long for justice to be served.