Boyfriend is a DEA Agent

ubrandall

Hi. I joined this forum to help to cure some of my anxiety. I'm dating a DEA Agent and I get so nervous when he is at work and sometimes I don't hear from him for a couple of days. What can I do to calm my nerves.

JayeeDolo

I would state the obvious but I don't smoke so I wouldn't suggest someone else to do it either. Especially since your boyfriend is a DEA agent. lol. But maybe some anti anxiety medicine..or just do things to get your mind off of him.

Well, you may want to avoid any drugs actually if he's with the DEA. I would say learn some breathing exercises and talk to a therapist about it. They're dealing with a lot of troublesome things all the time in the DEA, but just realize he's more than likely safe and can't speak with you due to the nature of some jobs. If you really can't deal with it even after getting help, then find a boyfriend that's not in this kind of work.

halberg

There are many jobs that are dangerous keep yourself active and mind occupied so you have less time to think bad thoughts

BryanOnAWire

Pick up a hobby and get deep into it. Do a martial art. Read books. Become the greatest knitter of all time. Something like that.

askanison

If you are in Denver toke up! No really I would find a hobby or activity to help relieve all that stress. Importantly though find something that gets you out of the house. Being surrounded by all of yours and his things will just contribute to more stress and not let you get your mind off of it.

True2marie

Hi. I joined this forum to help to cure some of my anxiety. I'm dating a DEA Agent and I get so nervous when he is at work and sometimes I don't hear from him for a couple of days. What can I do to calm my nerves.

You must really love him. After growing up in the military and watching my dad go away for months, I prefer a man with a more regular job. It's less stressful and you know that his job won't put him at a higher risk of death.

Determined2014

Just have faith and believe that he is going to be alright, try and think positive and all will be well, it is a risky carrier but you have to be strong and keep yourself busy.

ic3squid

I don't really think medicines the option to get the anxiety off yourself, maybe learn about what he does? go to his work place even? If you can't do that then go outside for a walk, head to the gym, it will take your mind off things while your boyfriend is at work. It's not like it's breaking bad, where he get's shot in the head by Gus.

Peninha

You raise a good question, how do relatives of police officers deal with their jobs, surely that affects the relation and you get nervous. To be calmer just think he has good training and a good team, everything will hopefully be fine at the end of the day. ;)

bala

he might not be able to speak with you due to the nature of his job and to de-stress yourself,you might want to try out Yoga.You must realize that he can't be with you all the time,but if you really need someone like that,you better be moving on from this.If you love him enough,you wouldn't complain after all.!! :D

Kate

Well... the quick answer is that there probably isn't going to be anything that can totally take this anxiety away from you. (And I've heard from my best friend who's an M.D. that a small amount of anxiety keeps us alert... unlike wanting to hide it all with medication.)

Okay, so I know that medication has its merits with things like anxiety, but if it's only to stop worrying about him, I'll bet you'll be able to find some ways to cope without getting on that sometimes vicious cycle.

May work for you and may not, but writing is very helpful to a lot of people. Journal if you're not already doing that. Write stories, write lyrics... put your feelings down on paper. (Or the computer, but I've always thought that the "the old way" with pen and blank journal feels more therapeutic.) It's a start at least!

ItsZiggy

Take up jogging, golfing, fishing, a sport or something, anything to get you out of the house and keeping your mind and body active.

Vivat

There's something difficult in letting somebody go do something dangerous, it's difficult to understand from the perspective of the person who goes do it, but when you actually see somebody undertake danger, it's unbelievable how much you want them to not do it.

There's no easy way to deal with it, just try to keep him motivated to keep safe.

Muthoni

My late grandmother once told me that we cannot hold the life of someone in our hands however much we love them. That means that the best we can do for them is to say a prayer for them to be safe when they go out and come in. Pray for your boyfriend and enjoy the love that has come your way without anxiety.

nikkilsvgs

I am with everybody else who says take up a hobby to keep your mind occupied. Volunteer somewhere to take your mind off. I know that has to be hard when you do not hear from him but you have to keep faith that he is going to be alright out there.

Moosh10

I suppose what you have to say to yourself is he is highly trained in what he does, he would not take unnecessary risk and he wants to stay alive as much as you want him too. Relax, switch off and just live your life, hey statistically you are more likely to be run over be a bus ha ha. Keep smiling -:)

LitoLawless

I always find that meditation helps me whenever I gets really anxious about anything. Focusing on your breath and always staying positive can really go a long way. I know that it's not easy to, and you don't always know if he really is ok but you have to keep belief in your heart that he is fine. Keep yourself calm through mediation all will be ok.

weepforsweep

I would listen to calming music and try to keep calm. They are equipped with high tech gear and have some worry to get killed but not much.

missbishi

I can understand your anxieties - having a partner in law enforcement must be so worrying. Try and take comfort in the fact that he will have been trained to deal with every eventuality. He also has a team behind him. Does he know that you feel like this?