Buying beer

dwightz

I bought beer for my 18 yearold brother and his friends last weekend.
Some of the parents found out about it, can they call the police over a week later with no proof. Can I get in trouble with the police?

JoanMcWench

Well, you're taking responsibility for it here and now. Is that not proof? I imagine if they were diligent enough with trying to prove it you may have an issue on your hands.

Profit5500

Some of the parents found out about it, can they call the police over a week later with no proof. Can I get in trouble with the police?

You should not buy beer for any minors even if they are 18 or 20 they are not of legal age to ingest alcoholic beverages. The least you would do is hope that the people accusing you don't have evidence. You would go to jail if you do get caught somehow.

Ricardo187

Is the minimum age for drinking alcohol greater than 18 in your country? Here it's 18, used to be 16 until two years ago. If all of them are minors, you probably would get in trouble for buying it for your brother's friends, as I believe minors are allowed to drink with parents or anyone responsible for them permission. (At least here.)

bala

If there is no proof,then there is no trouble.You did well to keep any cop from sensing this.
make sure there aren't any evidences about this again.Btw..can any sort of test detect if we have had alcohol before a week or so..?

wulfman

If there is no proof,then there is no trouble.You did well to keep any cop from sensing this.
make sure there aren't any evidences about this again.Btw..can any sort of test detect if we have had alcohol before a week or so..?

No test for BAC (blood alcohol content) after a week no.

ciorex

If they're cool parrents they won't bother. I never really understood the 21 year age requirement for alchohol, like 3 years over 18 is gonna prevent kids from getting shit faced and climb a clocktower with a gun....

Ricardo187

Indeed. 21 is too late. I drink alcohol since I was 16 though back then I only did it at home and with my parents or family. It's not like alcohol will kill you if you know how to drink and when to stop. Restraining teenagers from something for too long will cause them to overdo it when they're allowed to.

Shawn

I refuse to purchase alcohol for anyone based on an ethical standard. If I buy you liquor and you get drunk, drive and wreck killing someone in the process - I had a part in that killing even if you're of legal drinking age. Sure, it wasn't my fault but I had a part in it nonetheless. Children and young adults do not make wise decision, I don't say that to offend anyone, I say that from experience. I have lived 3 decades on this planet and learned a lot on my own for at least half of that, 18 is just out of the house experiencing what life is all about including laws you must follow in order to stay out of the justice system.

bala

No test for BAC (blood alcohol content) after a week no.
Thanks a lot,there was some confusion over it and you really cleared the air.
So,if that's the case,you are perfectly fine dude,the cops really can't do anything without any other solid proof and pls make sure,you don't have any that invites attention.

Ricardo187

I refuse to purchase alcohol for anyone based on an ethical standard. If I buy you liquor and you get drunk, drive and wreck killing someone in the process - I had a part in that killing even if you're of legal drinking age. Sure, it wasn't my fault but I had a part in it nonetheless. Children and young adults do not make wise decision, I don't say that to offend anyone, I say that from experience. I have lived 3 decades on this planet and learned a lot on my own for at least half of that, 18 is just out of the house experiencing what life is all about including laws you must follow in order to stay out of the justice system.

You know, it's not that straight. Don't you agree with me that restricting teenagers and young adults until they're 21, will cause them to overdo it when they are finally allowed to?

Shawn

You know, it's not that straight. Don't you agree with me that restricting teenagers and young adults until they're 21, will cause them to overdo it when they are finally allowed to?

No, I don't. Peer pressure is causing kids to overdo alcohol. Honestly, I don't think you should be allowed to drink alcohol until you are out on your own. Responsibility to manage you life might give you a better approach on how much to drink. I am not a big drinker and that is because I am responsible. There is no good reason why people should lay around drunk.

Buying alcohol for minors isn't helping them to not overdo it when they are older, its only helping them become an alcoholic sooner.

Kate

It's not like alcohol will kill you if you know how to drink and when to stop. Restraining teenagers from something for too long will cause them to overdo it when they're allowed to.

"It's not like alcohol will kill you?!" Well, I'm afraid any of us who have buried someone close to us because some 18 year old thinking they "knew when to stop" plowed head first into a car of innocents including children and wiping out whole families would disagree with that assessment.

Many people do NOT "know when to stop." You think you're fine... you think you're not drunk. You think... god forbid, that you can DRIVE because you don't feel any affects.

Shawn

Alcohol is a bigger killer than most drugs. People die from short-term and long-term use, people die over overusing it and people die from not using, just being victims to others using it. I once got ran over (I was walking) by a drunk driver. I made it out okay but I had to run for my life to do so. I still went up into the air and fell after he hit me going about 30 miles an hour, a second slower, I'd of been splattered all over the road. He stopped and realized he hit me and then fled the scene - we never found him. I don't feel sorry for drunks...

JoanMcWench

Hmm, this has become an interesting argument. As far as the 'you should only be allowed to drink when you are 21' item goes: What if you are a Marine fighting for your country and risking your life? Should you not be able to enjoy a beer when you come back?

Kate

Hmm, this has become an interesting argument. As far as the 'you should only be allowed to drink when you are 21' item goes: What if you are a Marine fighting for your country and risking your life? Should you not be able to enjoy a beer when you come back?

Most (if not all) of this conversation has been about (1) buying beer for minors which is obviously illegal, and (2) a statement that drinking "won't kill you." I didn't see anything about what the drinking age should be, or lowering it, etc.

askanison

Without solid proof you did bought it and gave it to minors they will not be able to do much of anything. I wouldn't buy beer for them in the future though. Why would you buy beer for minors? You open yourself to a huge liability. If they had gotten drunk and ran over someone you would be seen as responsible.

Kate

Without solid proof you did bought it and gave it to minors they will not be able to do much of anything. I wouldn't buy beer for them in the future though. Why would you buy beer for minors? You open yourself to a huge liability. If they had gotten drunk and ran over someone you would be seen as responsible.

All true... good post. One thing I'm not sure about though... that there's not "solid proof." Just about everywhere has surveillance cameras now, so that's the proof of buying. Proof of giving it to minors would just take one of those minors with a smart phone they all have... snap a pic of you with the minors who are drinking. I'm thinking that may be enough "proof" in the courts.

If no phone pics, then a few of them testifying about where they got the alcohol if someone is hurt or killed by a drunk minor (probably to keep themselves out of trouble) would be admissible evidence.