California Law Regarding Realistic Looking Replica Guns

Diane Lane

I had heard about this a while back, but hadn't had time to read it until now. I think a lot of legislation like this is written, proposed, and passed, by people who either are unfamiliar with real life scenarios, or are pandering to special interests and/or the public outcry for immediate one size fits all solutions, which don't exist. I don't think this law will save anyone's life, and it could exacerbate the situation. Here's the link, let me know what you think. Real or fake? Tragic encounters fuel debate over realistic-looking replica guns - LA Times

JoanMcWench

I understand. I get it. There are fake guns that look like real guns & no one wants a trigger happy police officer to shoot children. Isn't there something missing there? How about we approach the trigger happy police officer? I feel like the bigger issue is being ignored because the smaller one has images of plastic guns to accompany it. Sure, deal with the guns after people aren't being shot for pulling a wallet out of their pocket.

missbishi

Some cops certainly can be trigger happy and simply banning fake guns is just skirting the issue. Like putting a sticking plaster on a broken leg! You'd think that the powers that be would want to tackle the real problem wouldn't you.

thegrey1

I think rather than assume or worry about police officers being trigger happy, and shooting a "kid," how about parents all across the country teach their kids to say Yes Sir/Ma'am," or "No Sir/Ma'am." How about they teach their kids not to run from the cops. We could also impose a curfew on our children, so that they aren't out doing God knows what, with God knows who! This would set a different tone across the land. Police officers wouldn't expect young people to be be so dangerous.

Rainman

I think the law will work. It makes police work easier. If there's no way officers can tell whether a gun is fake or not, whether the person who has it poses a threat to others or not and that sort of thing then it's better not have that gun, fake or not, with you in public. Everyone avoids getting "accidentally" shot. IMHO, the law isn't all that bad.

lushlala

I'm not sure what to to make of this law, if I'm being honest. I don't get what difference colouring these replicas bright colours to distinguish them from the real thing will make. If even phones and wallets can be mistaken for weapons, how will this change anything? The article also says that real guns can come in many different colours, anyway. IDK.

Philosophydaddy

I think the law will work. It makes police work easier. If there's no way officers can tell whether a gun is fake or not, whether the person who has it poses a threat to others or not and that sort of thing then it's better not have that gun, fake or not, with you in public. Everyone avoids getting "accidentally" shot. IMHO, the law isn't all that bad.

Except that it won't make police work easier. It is easy for someone to imitate the already required blaze orange tip for replica firearms on a real firearm. Hell, there is a guy that concealed a shotgun in a super soaker (I can't post links yet but you can find the story in the LA Times as well). The fact is there are already real firearms that are bright pink to attract those of the fairer sex into the world of shooting. Those guns are real but if an officer encountered one under stress it is entirely likely that that officer would hesitate because of this law. They need to figure out if the gun is real or not and if they can't do that quickly they could get shot.

I am also an avid airsoft player. This law is not going to do anything except create hesitation within life or death situations in law enforcement as well as end California's participation with the sport of airsoft and Milsim. What needs to happen is people need to understand that if you are carrying around a replica and being irresponsible that someone is probably going to call the police. There needs to be more education from the airsoft community to the rest of the nation about our sport and players need to educated about being responsible for their replica weapons.

bala

A sort of fake gun ??
but why ??.We use guns like these during festival times like Diwali and is that what they are talking about.
More like what we get for the children to play with..? What might be the use of this then ?
Pls brief me more on this pls

Gabe

Fake guns are harder to spot and usually when you find out they are , it's too late. The law helps, but it doesn't solve the issue as people will still flout the law. I hear they make real guns in pink now anyhow, so that will still make it difficult to distinguish between what is real and fake.

Diane Lane

I had a client before who had an Airsoft gun with the orange tip. He wanted to look cool, so he spray painted the tip black, and carried it throughout the neighborhood. His mother and grandmother were unaware that he'd painted it and was carrying it around. He came to the home breathless one day, and stated that he'd been followed by a car throughout the neighborhood, and that he thought the people in the car were Bloods. During the questioning period that followed his arrival, he finally divulged (and his brother backed up) that he'd been carrying the 'gun' and wearing a red bandanna. He said he just wanted to look cool, and wanted people to think he was a Blood, but he got scared when the real deal showed up to see who was playing at being one of them.

Kids are kids. They often do very stupid things. What he did was extremely stupid, and he's lucky to be alive. I think if someone is going to have a toy or replica gun, it needs to be kept at home, or in a case. If someone goes around waving what looks like a real gun, that person is asking to at least be questioned by the police. The client had no problem spray painting the Airsoft tip to match the rest of the gun. If someone buys one of the replica guns mentioned, s/he will be just as capable of disguising it, if that is his or her intent. I don't think it's right to tie the hands of the police, expecting them to take the extra time to decide whether or not the 'gun' is the right color, looks like a replica, etc., when most armed citizens, when presented with the same scenario, would shoot.

mairj23

Fake guns can cause just as much a bigger problem as the real guns. Police officers have a right to defend and protect them selves and if someone has a fake gun, they can and will be shot. There should be a ban on these fakes and if you commit a crime, you should get the same amount of time.