Can a 20 year old get into a bar?

I'm going to be 21 real soon and I'm planning a nite out with all my friends. One of my friends will only be 20 years old and is the designated driver. Will he be allowed in the bars if he is only 20?

dchalke

It is very smart of you to have a designated driver, but he will not be allowed in a bar if it's 21 and over.

Onionman

If it's a place that's going to ID you on the door then he'll be out of luck. Maybe wait until he's 21 and have a big night out together!

Whitewolf2578

Some bars offer that kind of service if you just tell the bartender that your friend is your driver, I am talking about local bars though. I had this happen with my friend, he was able to hang out with me as I was drinking. Your friend might even pass by if he looks over 21.

Peninha

I don't know if that 21 age drinking limit makes sense, in my country we can drink at any age.

DancingLady

I don't think so, it would be too risky for the bar to allow someone underage in. If anything happened it could result in them losing their license and being shut down. I know there are bars that don't always follow the rules, but they obviously do so at their own risk as a cop could show up at any time. I would suggest you ask another friend to be designated driver for this event. Your younger friend will be 21 in less than a year and then you can all go together.

askanison

I really doubt he will be able to get in. The bar runs the risk of getting their liquor permit pulled and being fined if they are found letting people under age inside to drink. If the bar has a policy in place like wristbands for underage or you have to have a stamp to drink and such then you may have no problem. There are a few places around where I live that have nights where it is all ages and you have to have a stamp on your hand to get alcohol. Call ahead and ask.

januz101

I doubt the bar will let your friend in if he is under the prescribed age limit. Its risky for them because it is illegal as stated in the law. Maybe next time if he is already 21 he can party together with you guys but not now.*

Gelsemium

It depends on the bar, even if he's under the drinking age he can enter and drink something non-alcoholic no?

Patrick

Probably not, and it's not fair to the kid if he has to wait outside the bar to drive you drunks home. Hail a cab instead.

JoshPosh

Banned
I'm going to be 21 real soon and I'm planning a nite out with all my friends. One of my friends will only be 20 years old and is the designated driver. Will he be allowed in the bars if he is only 20?

I'm going to assume you are from the USA. The legal drinking age in the USA is 21. If you do go out you might have to go to a 18+ bar or club that serves alcohol. That way your 20 year old friend can still enter the establishment, but he or she will not be able to purchase alcohol.

Popcorn365

It depends on the bar. At least in my experience. Most places that I have been to will stamp your hand to show you are underage so the bartenders wont serve you.

dyanmarie25

It depends on where you are living I guess. Here in the Philippines, I was able to get inside a bar when I was just 18 years old and I was also able to order an alcoholic drink during that time. Not too strict here, I think.

Gabe

It depends on the state and where you are. I know in college towns they either stamp if you are underage or give you a different color wristband so you can go in but you can't drink. That's what it was like for me and they have people checking inside the club. I'm sure in smaller towns the rules may not be strict, but on the day it's what the bouncer or door person decides. I mean look at all these celebrities that are underage in clubs!