Can a person receive a ticket for driving too slow.

True2marie

Many times, I have seen traffic build up on the freeway because a person is driving too slow. The posted speed limit is 60 mph, but this guy or gal is driving 45 mph. :mad:

To me, besides being a nuisance, it also poses a hazard. Anyone coming from a side lane into traffic has to slam on his or her brakes because of unexpected traffic conditions.

So, do you ever ticket a person for driving too slow?

BryanOnAWire

You can absolutely get ticketed for driving too slow, however it's pretty rare. If it's impeding or obstructing traffic, you can get ticketed. 45 in a 60 probably isn't going to warrant a ticket, but, for example, 25 in a 60, or something ridiculous, probably would. If you search on Google, there are a few stories about people getting tickets for driving too slow. They're usually often driving in the wrong lane as well, though.

bala

Not exactly for driving slow,but for impeding traffic,if you go below the minimum speed.Oh and if you drive too slow in the Fast lane,you could be ticketed,but in the left lane,i don't think it is a possibility.

Ricardo187

You can get ticket for driving too slow on normal roads if it really affects the traffic heavily and you DON'T have a valid reason to drive that slow, or in highways if you drive under the minimum speed limit. I have no idea about the USA, but in Europe, it's usually 50kmph. Sadly, going 60kmph wouldn't end up in a ticket, but it can cause an accident when others drive at 120kmph, which is the limit.

Peninha

I actually saw a case where this guy was driving so slow the police told him to stop and let all the cars pass by him. I don't know if he got a ticket of not, but he was surely causing a big line.

Ricardo187

I actually saw a case where this guy was driving so slow the police told him to stop and let all the cars pass by him. I don't know if he got a ticket of not, but he was surely causing a big line.

I see that happening specially with older people that either don't see good enough any more, or have their movements limited by age and are afraid of going faster. They're quite dangerous.

wulfman

You can get ticket for driving too slow on normal roads if it really affects the traffic heavily and you DON'T have a valid reason to drive that slow, or in highways if you drive under the minimum speed limit. I have no idea about the USA, but in Europe, it's usually 50kmph. Sadly, going 60kmph wouldn't end up in a ticket, but it can cause an accident when others drive at 120kmph, which is the limit.

Yes in the USA you can get a ticket for driving too slow. It is called impeding traffic.

Ricardo187

Yes in the USA you can get a ticket for driving too slow. It is called impeding traffic.

Is there a minimum for highways? Is there a minimum for general roads or how do police officers decide whether it's worth a ticket or not?

ic3squid

You can get a ticket for driving too slow, like literally 5mph on a motorway. It's called obstructing traffic or something like that, and it's a £100 fine and a few points off your driver's license, I guess it would be pretty annoying to see your path blocked by some guy whos driving at 5mph.

Peninha

I see that happening specially with older people that either don't see good enough any more, or have their movements limited by age and are afraid of going faster. They're quite dangerous.

Actually that guys is relatively old, but the funny part is that he was respecting the speed limit that was clearly inadequate for that road and even so he was told to stop lol.