Can this count for animal abuse?

edwardscoggins

І hаvе а dоg, hе's оld аnd hаd fоr mаnу уеаrs but hе kеерs рееіng іn thе hоusе аnd mу wіfе іs gеttіng аngrу аnd wаntіng mе tо рut hіm dоwn јust fоr рееіng іn thе hоusе аnd mаkіng thе wооdеn flооrs ехраnd, іs іt wrоng tо рut hіm dоwn јust fоr thаt?

PriscillaKing

I only wish having dogs and cats "put down" were counted as cruelty against HSUS. A friend was having that problem last week--a lovable old dog was dribbling all over the place. I saved extra newspapers for them to put on the floor where the dog was. There's medication that helps some animals with bladder/kidney disorders, but it's not cheap, and wouldn't have helped the old dog much anyway. Too far gone. After a few days of dribbling he developed a fever and started vomiting. So the vet helped shorten his pain.

Sorry it's happening to your dog, though. Sorry their lives are so much shorter than ours.

donnalynn47

Not sure that would count as animal cruelty. Maybe you could find a new home for the dog. I don't think putting him down for that is a good enough reason to end his life. Unless he is in pain, or a threat to the safety of people or other animals. Killing him shouldn't be an option not in my eyes anyway.

Rainman

Putting down a dog for any reason as long as it's done in a humane manner doesn't count as animal cruelty. However pet owners are expected to treat their pets as part of their family. You should consider training your dog not to pee inside the house instead of considering killing him.

Gelsemium

One thing is certain, a dog peeing in the floor is not acceptable. Maybe you can get him a place outside for him to live? Shooting him down doesn't seem correct too.

hellonamesdan

If your dog is peeing on the floor because he can't make it outside because if his age, then you can't hold that against them. You have to take into account how old the dog is and how they're functioning, and if you think that they're suffering then you should go ahead and end that suffering and put the dog down. But just because he's peeing in the house doesn't mean you should just put them down!

missbishi

Firstly, have you tried letting him outside at more frequent intervals? Then, take him to the vet and try and work out if there's anything that's making him do this. Is your wife really being serious about having the dog put down? That's pretty cruel to be honest. If he's in pain then yes, maybe you should but just for the peeing? No way!

OMGnoWAY

Technically not, but I wish it did count. You should go see the vet about it anyways. There are medications that can help with incontinence, and this might just be a symptom of something worse so it's good to get it checked out! If all else fails though, they make diapers for dogs! So you could always do that and just change him a few times a day.

goldenmaine

I hope there are other ways you can resolve that problem. It’s so sad if you’ll put down your dog for that reason only. Maybe you can get trainer to potty train him or place him outside instead and bring him in the house if you are around to watch him if he is about to pee. In our home we do not allow our dogs inside but if we are present to watch over them while they are in the house then we allow them inside.

bala

I too am not sure if that would count as animal abuse but you could get him a new home,a small investment should do for his betterment.I pity the dog,but you surely can take the remedial measure,it is within your hand.

JoanMcWench

No it's not considered animal cruelty but you obviously have an issue with it. There are other ways. Some even suggested here: If you can't care for the dog perhaps there is someone who can invest the time & the money to do so.

Gabe

It seems your wife is more upset, but when animals get old, like people they can't do the things they used to. Is it abuse? Some would say yes and others no. The dog is at the end of his life and you need to consider the happiness of quality of life of the dog. Putting an animal down can be the kindest thing, but for peeing in the house isn't really a sufficient cause to me.

dyanmarie25

No way. Never put him down. Yes, it's animal abuse/cruelty and I'm never advocating that. He's already old anyway, why don't you and your wife just wait for him to die from natural death? That idea of killing him is absolutely crazy. Let the dog live please, he's just got a short life span anyway.