Carrying my weapon open.

Slightly_Bent_Halo

I have my open carry permit. Because the crime level has been high in my area I was thinking about carrying my gun out in the open. What I am most worried about is how I may be approached by the police if they see me carrying my gun out in the open. I don't want to get tazed or arrested. What is the best way for me to respond if approached by law enforcement? I do carry my permit with me at all times.:confused:

Carl_the_Enforcer

Hey SBH, How far is the Halo Bent?:D In general you could expect that a police officer is going to approach you has being hostile. First thing is they will approach you with guns drawn and will not even consider your reasons for carrying open until you are handcuffed. There is no way of telling if you are a person who is concerned for his own safety or some nut job who is carrying illegally.

TheHammer

"
I have my open carry permit. Because the crime level has been high in my area I was thinking about carrying my gun out in the open. What I am most worried about is how I may be approached by the police if they see me carrying my gun out in the open. I don't want to get tazed or arrested. What is the best way for me to respond if approached by law enforcement? I do carry my permit with me at all times.
Allot of it depends on why the LEO is there to begin with. If they are being dispatched because you have a gun in your possession, what are the circumstances? Were you acting irrational, were you brandishing the gun, threatening someone or were you just walking down the street. If it is not illegal for you to be carrying a gun in the open I would expect that you will get a guarded response just as you would not approach someone carrying a gun without caution.

I always suggest that you get a concealed carry permit, it saves everybody allot of stress."