Cell Phone Related Tickets

DancingLady

In my state it is illegal for people to use their cell phone while driving, yet I see people do it all the time! They banned it due to so many accidents being caused by distracted drivers who were making phone calls or texting while driving.

If you are a cop in a state where this is illegal, how often to you pull people over and ticket them for this?

PriscillaKing

Virginia law enforcement should not be shy about this. I've seen people going around tight, blind curves on a rainy night, obviously thinking the phone conversation must come first. The only thing that I can imagine would stop them would be tickets. There used to be a social norm that using a seat belt showed lack of faith in the driver; I don't think seat belt laws are really the way democracy ought to work, but I have to admit they made it socially acceptable to buckle up. Same with the distracted drivers.

donnalynn47

As far as I know it's against the law in all states to use a cell phone while driving. It should be I wish the cops would give out more tickets for this offense. I see so many people breaking this law. It's no different then drinking, and driving in my eyes.

Rosyrain

I have heard from officers that it is tricky to catch people on their cell phones unless they just happen to see it. I fully support busting people who feel that their conversations are more important than my safety on the road. I have also heard that some jurisdictions are implementing taller police vehicles so they can see down into cars.

Profit5500

In my state it is illegal for people to use their cell phone while driving, yet I see people do it all the time! They banned it due to so many accidents being caused by distracted drivers who were making phone calls or texting while driving.

If you are a cop in a state where this is illegal, how often to you pull people over and ticket them for this?
I do not think driving while on the cell phone has been legal. You lose your focus and then you have to hope that you would not run into the law while out there.

OMGnoWAY

The only problem I have with this is what if I'm not texting, I'm just using my phone for google maps? I use google maps on my smartphone instead of having to spend hundreds of dollars on an extra gadget that does the same thing. I'd be pissed if I had to pay for a gps unit that's literally just as distracting as my phone just because of a stupid law like this.

I think if you cause a wreck, you should be held liable if you were distracted no matter the device or reason. I don't see why phones need to have their own law.

missbishi

The only way they can really do it is by recording the registration plate as they drive past. Stopping short of actually following the offender, I'm not sure what else they can do.

Patrick

It's a very valid risk to both the driver and other road users, hence I think that such a law should be enforced more strictly. To be honest there needs to be better handsfree technologies for people who wish to talk to other people while driving. Texting should not be okay under any circumstances since it is a visual distraction.