Chicago secret interrogation facility

missbishi

An interesting report on a Chicago secret interrogation facility, Homan Square, claims that alleged police practises here include

• Keeping arrestees out of official booking databases.
  • Beating by police, resulting in head wounds.
  • Shackling for prolonged periods.
  • Denying attorneys access to the “secure†facility.
  • Holding people without legal counsel for between 12 and 24 hours, including people as young as 15.

What do you think? Are you surprised by the report or have you always suspected that things like this happen frequently?

The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site' | US news | The Guardian

Onionman

We shouldn't really be surprised, though it is extremely disconcerting. To assume that every police force plays by the book would be naive. Their argument would be that they need to do it because of the extent of criminality they are dealing with. But such lawlessness is unacceptable when the rule of law is abused like that, particularly as we always question the behavior of police forces in other countries.

dyanmarie25

Police should not abuse their power over arrestees. I know these people they have imprisoned have done illegal and indecent things, but violence is never the proper punishment. If they somehow result in violence or something similar to that, I think police are nothing but just like those criminals, being total hypocrites.

Gabe

I'm sure these places exist all over, but are probably run by the secret service agencies rather than the police. It is possible for certain areas to have places like this, but it is unconstitutional and they should be shut down or outed. When rights are violated that's when the system falls apart and when people lose faith in the system.

Gelsemium

When the word secret is associated with police forces I really have a hard time giving my opinion as I like clear things and what's hidden usually is not good.

pandabear1991

What is the point in law if they are holding themselves above the law? Honestly I am not surprised, especially coming from Chicago. After reading the article I am still confused though (or just not reading correctly), this "black cite" is perfectly legal and is staying where it is? Or it is illegal and no one is doing anything about it?

Profit5500

An interesting report on a Chicago secret interrogation facility, Homan Square, claims that alleged police practises here include

What do you think? Are you surprised by the report or have you always suspected that things like this happen frequently?

The disappeared: Chicago police detain Americans at abuse-laden 'black site' | US news | The Guardian
I am not surprised that they have some sort of private holding facility. I can see those officers beating the inmates over their head.

Rainman

They can attempt to keep things secret but eventually someone will speak. The conscience may force one of those involved to leak just enough information to raise suspicion. The ensuing investigation to find the truth will unearth the secrets of the facilities. I don't know if that's what happened.

It's a shame that the U.S which criticizes every other nation for human right violations are as bad as [if not worse than] those they attack.

jeremy2

We shouldn't really be surprised, though it is extremely disconcerting. To assume that every police force plays by the book would be naive. Their argument would be that they need to do it because of the extent of criminality they are dealing with. But such lawlessness is unacceptable when the rule of law is abused like that, particularly as we always question the behavior of police forces in other countries.

As the levels of violent crime continue to soar, police are being forced to use other discrete methods to hold suspects where they can extract information from them using unorthodox methods. I believe other states as well have similar facilities only that they've managed to keep them under wraps.

Profit5500

Police should not abuse their power over arrestees. I know these people they have imprisoned have done illegal and indecent things, but violence is never the proper punishment. If they somehow result in violence or something similar to that, I think police are nothing but just like those criminals, being total hypocrites.
You are absolutely right about the police acting that way with the arrestees. I would just write them off as another crook too. Police officers have to lead by example and that does not mean they have to destroy these criminals by making them look like they were violated by the law.

OGRICHBOI

As a civilian, learning about this is fairly uncomfortable. Especially the part about shackling and beatings. Hopefully further investigations can be made to prove wether this is real or not. Police should not abuse their powers.

shilpa123

It is shameful to see the police use their power in the wrong manner. It is worst thing that could happen and civilian. A civil should be careful and protected by the people but not abused by them.

stevesxs9

I know the Police will use every tactic and method that's available. unfortunately sometimes they cross the line. I don't know what the punishment for the Police is compared to the general public. But I would think that much harsher punishment and longer jail time, might deter some of these criminal activities that may be happening.

JoanMcWench

If by 'here' you mean not specific to that exact location & actually practices that I've seen at a lot of precincts? Then, yes. I can agree with that. However, it shouldn't be assumed that the majourity behave this way. Things like this happen everywhere & that type of behaviour is not a standard at that location. The practices may have occurred but that has more to do with the officers than it does the facility.

shilpa123

I think this integration facilities should not exit. if something is been hidden from the people then it is illegal and should be stopped. Such things always tell how hideous the police academy can be.

jesuslover0314

Wow, if I am not mistaking that is illegal and is against our bill of rights. I would report this to the supreme court and see what they have to say about it.. Has this even made it to court yet?

GlacialDoom

Meh, personally, I think that these things aren't surprising anymore. It's only natural for the police to have secret facilities for all sorts of purpose.

timelord731

It's not nearly as surprising as I thought it would be. Chicago has a higher death rate than war time Iraq. That is a startling figure. I'm sure someone gave the go ahead for a black site from these statistics alone.

Rosyrain

I would not be shocked if places like this actually exist, but I think they would be federally run as opposed to state run, like with a city police department. The CIA and Secret Service are very secretive entities and they do some under the table type things. I do not think that it is right if such a place exists, because thus should be disclosed to the American public. We are a free country and should have knowledge of what is going on in our country if it does not pose a threat to national security. The only thing really that should not be disclosed are things like potential attacks and ways we fight terrorism, if this makes sense.

jabay

I hate it when the police go above and beyond the law. I think that the law is meant to bring people to a pace of equality and it should not matter who you are or what you have done. You should be able to access your rights as a human being and not be afraid that some one can violate them. This is a big area in which the police really let me down.