Child Safety and Abductions

Gabe

These days it's hard to keep an eye on children all the time and whenever I am with my friends and help with their children, I do feel anxious if we are outside playing in a park or out shopping. I am sure it's a worry, but we can only do so much.

I was working at an event and we had some lost children, some had wandered off and others had just lost sight of their parents or grandparents. The worrying thing is when the child doesn't know the name of the parent or a phone number. It's so important to teach them these things if they get lost or abducted so they can pass on the information.

Josie

I'm not even sure what to say in this situation. Most people give their kids the "puppy" talk along with all the other scenarios they can come up with. I think the thing they forget though, is kids feel wrong, or bad for saying no to adults. When it happens at home, they get in trouble for it,, that's why I preach respect at all times.. it effects more than just their home life. I know when I was a kid, I put myself in stupid situations because I was afraid to say no or hurt their feelings. In retrospect, they were obviously good people.. but had they not, I would have been easy prey despite the fear of strangers they instilled in us.

helaofthenorns

Thanks for sharing this. I live with my two nephews, and I always tell them the truth about safety. I do not scare them or tell them "no" without explaining why. I believe that by treating children honestly or by not underestimating the way they perceive things is very important.

dyanmarie25

That's why we always need to keep a good eye on our children. Perverts, murderers, rapists are just lurking around, waiting for their next victim. If we don't want something bad happen to your kids, you should talk to them about not talking to strangers or trusting anyone they barely even know.

thegrey1

This is some horrifying stuff! I think a lot has to do with the temperament of the child. I had one that was so convinced of right vs. wrong at a very young age, she would never have willingly gone off with a stranger, and one who was so bubbly and trusting, I had to keep a leash on her wrist, because she would take off running after anyone she saw! Parents have to always be diligent.

oraclemay

Yes, what works for one child may not work for another. It is for this reason that parents need to take extra good care of their children and protect them at all times, especially if they are very young. The world is a dangerous place for a child and perverts are lurking in places we would not expect.

Josie

This is some horrifying stuff! I think a lot has to do with the temperament of the child. I had one that was so convinced of right vs. wrong at a very young age, she would never have willingly gone off with a stranger, and one who was so bubbly and trusting, I had to keep a leash on her wrist, because she would take off running after anyone she saw! Parents have to always be diligent.

I was your first child lol. I've been all about the fairness and right and wrong and equal rights my entire life.. I stood up to adults who were unfair, didn't believe every word they said just because they were older.. just an all around critical thinker. But if an adult treated me nicely with bad intentions, I would have definitely seconded guessed it, but gone with them anyway because I might have been wrong and because I didn't want them to think I didn't trust them LOL. That may not be the case for your child, but I was the last person on earth my mother would have thought of to end up going with a stranger.. and then there she was, calling the cops trying to find me when I did it. Most parents will assume their child is safe from this that or the other thing because they had talks or their child is usually rational.. I think that's another problem; which clearly it was in this video.

lushlala

It is truly worrying, especially because different children will have different temperaments, with some being naturally too trusting and sweet. This is what scares me about becoming a parent! On top of drumming it into your kids' heads and being candid about the dangers out there, as parents; you can't be complacent or too safe. You have to always have your wits about you on behalf of your children, too. We live in a nasty world full of all sorts of weirdos, sadly :(

bala

It is truly worrying, especially because different children will have different temperaments, with some being naturally too trusting and sweet. This is what scares me about becoming a parent! On top of drumming it into your kids' heads and being candid about the dangers out there, as parents; you can't be complacent or too safe. You have to always have your wits about you on behalf of your children, too. We live in a nasty world full of all sorts of weirdos, sadly :(
You are on the verge of being a perfect parent.You have got all the requisites and you understand the child's thought ,the ones that are alike or varying.
Are u married ..or wat ?
I am not but i knew it by the way my mom used to explain me all this.

Diane Lane

There were always perverts and those with ill intent toward children, but it seems to be increasing. I can remember a few people when I was young that we would watch out for. One was a creepy old man who would offer $1 for a kiss. Another was a boy from a troubled family, who used to pull the fire alarms at school. His brother later broke into the house of a friend of mine, tied up her and her brother, and ate a homemade pie their mom had cooling on the window sill. I often think about what happened to that family, because it is so obvious to me now that they must have had a really crappy home life, and I don't think the system at that time was designed to look for signs and intervene.

I'm glad the guy made this video, and I hope it opens a lot of eyes to the dangers out there. The parents in the video thought their child would say no, because that's what they'd taught them, yet they still walked away with him, which is troubling. I agree, each child is individual, and each personality will probably respond differently, so those differences need to be addressed when having the discussion about stranger danger.

Sunflogun

There are evil people everywhere and we need to keep our eyes on our kids at all times because their are innocent and might fall into situations where they could be taken. I hope something like this never happens to me.