Community Policing

Rosyrain

Community policing is a huge initiative these days and it means that police and the community are supposed to work together to keep crime rates down. I have noticed that areas in which there are community policing efforts, it seems as though crime rates are much lower than places where crime watch is strictly up to the police. What are your thoughts on community policing? Should citizens be involved in the crime prevention of their communities?

shilpa123

Community policing is a great way to live in Harmony in society. It can help you to be a better person in life. U hope to join community servicing one day.

ally79

Our community is making more of an effort with community policing but it doesn't seem to be working very well so far. So far this week the areas they were trying it in have had three drive by shootings in three days and the week is not over yet.

Peachdejour

I firmly believe that if a community takes pride in where they live, they will see more effort from their service members to serve them. If you don't take care of what you have been offered, why should you expect someone to take care of everything for you? We all have a responsibility to make our community a better place for ourselves and our neighbors. That's called being a good citizen.

JoanMcWench

George Zimmerman is an example of how things can go astray when community policing is not properly done. Not everyone should be given that option. In small towns I've seen sheriffs appoint certain people to report to them about criminal behaviour in the neigbourhood. That would be a great idea if we could instill it in larger communities by boroughs

Rosyrain

George Zimmerman is an example of how things can go astray when community policing is not properly done. Not everyone should be given that option. In small towns I've seen sheriffs appoint certain people to report to them about criminal behaviour in the neigbourhood. That would be a great idea if we could instill it in larger communities by boroughs

You have a very valid point there. I think that some people take the law into their own hands much more than they should. There are some good people though who just want to do the right thing. Community policing should be used, but there should be screenings in place.

stevesxs9

Community policing is a great concept for communities who have good relationship with the police. But when a community and the police do not see eye to eye, this usually means that community really don't have much faith in the police and treats them like they are the criminals.

Rainman

Should citizens be involved in the crime prevention of their communities?
While community policing is a great concept, unfortunately it can work in some places and won't work in others. For example, in low-income neighborhoods, those tasked with community policing may take advantage to commit crimes. Since the community trusts they wouldn't be suspected of any wrongdoing.

Gabe

Ideally it is a good idea and can work, so there is a presence to deter crime rather than to enforce. The problem is many people know their power is limited and still get away with things as they don't respect the law. Having locals may help to bridge a cultural aspect, but also it can give people an inflated sense of power too. I think it should be encouraged, but also there should be appropriate training too and protocols if a situation arises that they should stand back from.

Gabe

You have a very valid point there. I think that some people take the law into their own hands much more than they should. There are some good people though who just want to do the right thing. Community policing should be used, but there should be screenings in place.

I've been reading the Zimmerman case and his defense of self-defense doesn't really bear any weight as Martin, the victim was unarmed and not a threat. It does seem a lack of evidence and the fact he was active on the neighborhood watch scheme may have swayed things, but it did not give him the right to follow and approach someone that they did not recognize and confront them. That's one of the dangers, civilians thinking they have more powers and rights than others.

Gelsemium

When citizens unite usually good things happen. The police can't cover it all, so community policing is indeed a good thing. I wish my neighborhood had something like this.

GemmaRowlands

I think that is is absolutely essential to be able to get the community involved in policing whenever there is the chance to do so. Because don't forget that the people who actually commit crimes are also a part of the community, so if you do everything that you can in order to stop them from doing so in the first place, this means that there would be less work for the police to do overall. Making the community aware of the things that they can do to help, in addition to what they can do in order to protect themselves, should mean that you can reduce the amount of crime in your local area whilst helping the community to be involved in improving the place where they live.

shilpa123

I believe community policing is one of the best thing that has happened. I definitely love to know more about it. It is not quite followed here. But I have heard about it.

thegrey1

I think community involvement is almost always good. One exception would be in high-crime districts,where you have a high ratio of criminals to honest people. There's is always the problem of people being afraid to speak up. There is also the possibility of vigilantism. People should be screened before being appointed to any position like that.

goldenmaine

This is a very good idea because the police force cannot monitor and handle all the security, protection and crime prevention of a whole community, especially those that are densely populated and has a large land area. Crimes usually go unseen and undetected in these kinds of communities and the participation of the people is highly recommended. Some communities are already practicing these and like you stated, their crime rates have been lower than average. Both the people and the police would benefit from this and can make the community safer. Certainly there will be some issues with these like abuse of power but these can be resolved with proper rules and regulations.