Cop or Officer

JayeeDolo

I'm not sure if you were posting this specifically for a officer to answer you but I think they prefer Officer. Lol. I'm not one so I wouldn't know for sure but it just sounds more respectful.

bala

@JayeeDolo : just what i wanted to ask.A Cop is used when we are referring to him in third person and not in a conversation.In a conversation,officer sounds more professional and friendly.I call the local cops here as "officer" and i guess they like it.
For instance," officer,what just happened here" is way better than "Cop,what just happened here"..:D

Ricardo187

I strongly believe officer is the best word to use in this case. It's the more respectful and formal way to refer to one, in my opinion, of-course.

Rob93FL

I can't imagine addressing a police officer with "cop." That doesn't even sound right. For me, it's always "Yes, officer."

If I'm just talking about a police officer, however, I'll just refer to them as cops.

ic3squid

In my eyes, "Officer" sounds more respectable, I think you would only say "Cop" when you are talking about a third person situation.

Gelsemium

I think officer is more respectable too, cop it's not a way to address an authority agent IMO.

Vivat

Police man. Why? I don't know, personal preference or something. Officer is too formal, and cop seems like an insult in the way I talk.

Profit5500

You must be crazy to address an officer of the law as cop. I think most of the police officers when they are talking to each other they would not mind using cop. If you are a suspect or citizen then always address them as officer as a sign of respect. I remember when me and my brother's friend got into a car accident in 2007 on the highway I had to talk to a highway patrolman and address him as officer. I wanted to make sure that I did not upset him in any way.

ItsZiggy

When addressing one I always say officer, if I say anything at all, but when referring to them I generally say "the cops", saying "the police officers" or just "the officers" just isn't as easy to get out, so I choose the shorter variant only when referring to them as a whole or a group.

Gelsemium

I depends on the person you are really, but cop seems rather blunt, I think respect is necessary and as long as respect exists the proper words will come out.