Crime in progress. Could you make the arrest?

Rocky55119

It depends... I am learning the different pressure points police use (as I am going to become one when I am older), visiting the police department and learning how they detain suspects, so I guess I would be well prepared if I had to make a Citizen's Arrest, however if the suspect is out of my reach, such as they had about 35 different weapons and were stronger than The Rock, I wouldn't probably be able too.

LitoLawless

I don't see why they wouldn't get involved. I think that there is a certain level of fear but if I were a cop, properly armed, and able to handle the situation then I would definitely intervene. I know that this is real life and not a movie and there is a chance that I may get hurt, but I think as a cop you have a certain responsibility to the people, and you must serve with all your heart at all times.

Kamarsun1

I would step in and make that citizens arrest, but it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do. We tend to run from danger especially when it doesn't involve us, but we know the right thing would be to step up and help out if you can, now if I'm out numbered than I may have to pass on helping out but it really all depends on the situation.

btatro

Honestly, likely not, and that is why I did not choose a career in law enforcement and instead work in healthcare.

SamClemensMT

Law enforcement isn't a joke. When you see a cop, tip your hat to him or her. They have to be ready to take action at any moment. Their's is a profession of running into danger, not knowing if you will be injured or killed. Then nowadays, you have have the public giving you the "baby killer" treatment; that was lavished on our soldiers as they returned home from Vietnam back in the 70's. We need to be more thoughtful and more thankful as a society. The vast majority of soldiers (99.99%) never killed a child in any war I'll bet.

jeremy2

Before i make that arrest i would first ensure that my own safety is guaranteed and that I'm doing what is in the public's interest.I would also ascertain that am legally empowered to make that arrest to avoid lawsuits arising from my actions.

SamClemensMT

Before i make that arrest i would first ensure that my own safety is guaranteed and that I'm doing what is in the public's interest.I would also ascertain that am legally empowered to make that arrest to avoid lawsuits arising from my actions.
That's a great response. Now that it's clear in your mind you won't have to rehearse it. The person who hesitates is lost.[video=youtube_share;m5_lFT52NrU]http://youtu.be/m5_lFT52NrU[/video]

Rainman

Last year sometime in June or thereabouts, a McDonald's employee beat up a mother and threatened her child. The person who recorded the video didn't intervene. And it's not the first time someone witnesses a crime being committed and instead of taking action records a video instead. I think most people would not bother attempting to stop a crime unless someone who is very close to them is the victim.

weepforsweep

Unless I was armed, I would call the police. There is no need to become another victim since the criminal would be mostly armed.

Profit5500

Unless I was armed, I would call the police. There is no need to become another victim since the criminal would be mostly armed.
Yeah if that person got a gun it would be wise to just leave it to the cops. Just make sure that you do not become the victim. If you are in a place like Utah or Texas then having a gun would not be as much of a issue. Well Texas that crook would be out of luck if they were on your property like with the Joe Horn case.

sunrider

It really depends on several factors, but I'm leaning no on this one. It's not so much about "balls" as it is my lack of training. There's no sense in me running in all Rambo to a dangerous situation and getting myself hurt/killed. It's just another thing the police/paramedics would have to deal with. It's my understanding that in cases like these, the best thing you can do is be a good witness. Get to safety, observe, and get as much information as you can so trained officers can deal with it.

That said, I would surely admire anyone who has the ability to do so to step in to stop something horrible from happening.

LitoLawless

It isn't something that I would suggest doing but it is something that can be done. If someone is committing a crime then chances are that person is well equipped and will defend themselves if needed. If you are not equality prepared then keeping you distance is probably best. On the other hand, if you are just THAT skilled then I see no problem in going for it.

Muthoni

Last week on Wednesday I saw a man being dragged on the road by another angry man. The one that was dragging him was clean while the one being dragged was a dirty homeless man. A small mob gathered around; someone gave the angry man a metal rod. He wanted to beat him because he stole something from him. The mob was cheering him to kill him. I walked to that angry man and touched him on the shoulder and pleaded with him to take the man to the police station instead of shedding blood.