crossfit

harpert42

I've been doing Crossfit for about a year and half now. And I absolutely love it! It's a very tough intense workout, not one to take lightly.

b1tiel4

I started about nine months ago. Crossfit will get your ass in shape. There's no question about it.

Rob93FL

Crossfit is good in theory, but it's absolutely horrendous when practically applied.

For one, it's a fad (and an expensive one). When you have a sport gain as much hype as Crossfit did, you're going to get a lot of inexperienced people trying to jump into Crossfit without first getting their bodies used to exercising. You're also going to get a bunch of barely-qualified "instructors" jumping on the gravy train after seeing how much money there is to be made in teaching Crossfit classes.

This leads me to my next point: they focus way too much on olympic lifts while pushing you to pump out as many reps as you can to increase your score. You can't just throw regular people straight into olympic lifts. It takes a lot of training to get your body used to moving weight that way, and they aren't lifts that average people should be doing. Most olympic lifts like snatches and clean and jerks are never performed with high reps. That's just asking for an injury.

On the topic of Crossfit exercises, have you seen kipping? If not, I recommend that you look up videos of kipping pull-ups and kipping dips. Kipping involves building momentum by swinging the body. The increased momentum helps you perform the pull-ups and dips with ease, but it defeats the purpose of the exercise and it's hard on the shoulders. You're supposed to use your muscles, not momentum. I could go on and on about all of Crossfit's other harmful exercises.

Some Crossfit gyms have adopted an ideal called "Crossfit Slop", which is what the Crossfitters consider to be an acceptable degree of sloppiness in form. Their theory is that you can't possibly be pushing yourself to your limits if you're performing every single exercise with perfect form. One of the first things people learn when working out is that form must be perfected before increasing weight. Sloppy form is just asking for an injury.

They also have two clowns, Pukie and Uncle Rhabdo. Pukie represents a Crossfitter who has pushed himself so hard that he vomits, which is considered a good thing in the Crossfit world. Why would you celebrate someone working so hard that they vomit? Uncle Rhabdo represents a Crossfitter who has Rhabdomyolysis, which is, according to Wikipedia, " a condition in which damaged skeletal muscle tissue breaks down rapidly. Breakdown products of damaged muscle cells are released into the bloodstream; some of these, such as the protein myoglobin, are harmful to the kidneys and may lead to kidney failure." They're openly admitting to rhabdomyolysis being a possibility when taking part in Crossfit (so possible that it has actually happened). Rhabdomyolysis can cause death. Why on Earth would you mock a condition like that by creating a mascot for it and slapping it on t-shirts?

The only good thing that I can say about Crossfit is that it's filled with attractive women in spandex shorts.

Determined2014

I have never heard of it I mean never, but according to what you are saying I am going to have to try it,I need something intense.

Rob93FL

I have never heard of it I mean never, but according to what you are saying I am going to have to try it,I need something intense.

If you want to try something intense, you're better off buying a gym membership and creating your own workout split. If you want an intense workout that contains olympic lifts, find a trainer who actually specializes in olympic lifts, not some barely-qualified trainers.

PhilA

CrossFit has gained lot's of criticism lately, for a few reasons;

- it is a paid franchise, anyone offering a service is doing so for the money mostly
- there are too many injuries, it's just not a safe way to train
- the competitions are tainted with drug use

It might be okay if you are already in really good shape. But it has been in the news lately for a few reasons, the main one being that a lot of injuries are occurring as a result of the workout. So if you are already fit, and looking for an extreme workout, then it might be for you. But if you are just looking to get in shape, there are better ways to go about it. Slow and steady wins the race.

PhilA

There is no practical use for being in 'CrossFit shape' anyway. It's only good for doing CrossFit , even awesome everyday shape is nowhere near that level.