Cyclists

DancingLady

I ride a bicycle 6 days a week, to work, to dance, to go shopping, pretty much everywhere I go. In my town there are a fair amount of people who do the cycling lifestyle, and don't even have a car. I try to be a very polite cyclist and I've never really had any problems except for a couple scary moments that were the fault of a driver who was NOT paying attention.

I have heard though that in some places cops seem to be out to get cyclists for anything they can. I don't really know why, but some people I have talked to seem to feel like they will get nabbed on a technicality if they get seen making even the slightest error. Are really like that in some places? Or maybe I've just talked to a couple of people who had bad experiences with a particularly picky officer.

bala

Nopes it isn't like that at all places,maybe it just might have occurred somewhere but in the other corners it is encouraged and they aren't treated like what you just said.I reckon it is the latter of what you mentioned that has happened to you.

Peninha

Where I live it's pretty peaceful the relation between policemen and cyclists, as long as they follow the rules there is no trouble.

Patrick

I think it depends on the general attitude of cyclists in the area, and if the place is conducive for cyclists. If cyclists are posing a major threat to pedestrians, pedaling along sidewalks where no bicycle lanes are available, naturally the police would be more inclined to ticket them, to avoid complaints and possible accidents from happening.