Dangers Of Craigslist Meetups and Sales

bala

@bala, eBay here used to not stand behind sellers, but they're switched back around, at least as far as my last transaction, and stood behind me. I'd stopped using them when they stopped standing behind sellers, because why would I give money to a site that does that. I'd heard they had changed back, so gave them another shot, and was pleasantly surprised. I hope that happens in India, too.
If what you said is to believed and has been the trend i sure would give it a shot,but my last case is still pending.
i am asked to pay a hefty sum for a mistake that ain't mine.

Shimus

This story really upsets me, as do all of them. I don't understand why anyone would agree to meet a stranger anywhere that wasn't 100% safe. I would insist that we seal the deal over a cup of coffee somewhere, and I would have a couple of friends with me.

This, or do it in highly populated area at the very least.

I also use Craigslist a lot. And never a shady deal. Some questionable people, sure (white trash mainly where I am) but no scary axe murderers. And plenty of witnesses. And I have no issues using the site regularly and would recommend it to people.

bala

This, or do it in highly populated area at the very least.

I also use Craigslist a lot. And never a shady deal. Some questionable people, sure (white trash mainly where I am) but no scary axe murderers. And plenty of witnesses. And I have no issues using the site regularly and would recommend it to people.
Respect your opinion,but there are many a cases of scams and murders that hog the limelight.
Maybe its all based on the geographic location as well.Have you never had a bad experience at all ,if so,quite interesting and you can actually tell how you filter deals from your side,maybe,would help a lot.

Josie

I would say it has a lot to do with the area. As I said, I've heard of only one horrible story and the person knew the victim. These things just don't happen here. I have used a few similar places and never had one issue.

helaofthenorns

I am a member of a Facebook group for K1 (Fiancee Visas). One of the members there posted and asked for suggestions because she is having problems with her boyfriend who she met on Craigslist a few years ago. He has borderline personality disorder, and there are times when he becomes aggressive. Apart from scams, people should try to starting a relationship with people they meet on CL. Don't get me wrong though, I believe that people can fall in love online. I met my fiancee through my cousin who introduced us to each other via Facebook. Just be careful about meeting people on CL in general.

bala

I would say it has a lot to do with the area. As I said, I've heard of only one horrible story and the person knew the victim. These things just don't happen here. I have used a few similar places and never had one issue.
Fair.Accepted.
Maybe they are just projecting it in the bad light,who knows,or maybe just that one story put up a blemish.

Just fyi,even today there was an incident when a guy who wanted to sell his car on ipod met the buyer,he put up pepper spray and ran off with it it seems.

JoanMcWench

Wasn't there a story about this a while back concerning the older parents of some children who said they went missing? Only to find they too were murdered?

I guess Craigslist is the most popular nowadays but this has always been the case since the dawn of 'internet dating' or 'meetups' or face-to-face selling. To meet someone in a chatroom or on a forum or on any social media outlet in person is a dangerous thing. There's always an element of the unknown. Despite what people claim there's that 'you never know' feeling deep down.

tanker

If the police allow meetings in their lobbies, does that mean they have entered the match making department ? Maybe police departments should put up their own craigslist and then also have a singles section and meetup section. The question is how far should the police be going to protect people ?

Josie

Fair.Accepted.
Maybe they are just projecting it in the bad light,who knows,or maybe just that one story put up a blemish.

Just fyi,even today there was an incident when a guy who wanted to sell his car on ipod met the buyer,he put up pepper spray and ran off with it it seems.

Yes, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I hear of these craigslist stories a lot (whether true or not, I don't know). I'm just saying, things are different where I am than from most of the US. You just don't see that sort of thing happening here. Very different places. I trust the process of buying and selling privately here. Completely. That won't blind me though, I will always take precautions.