Death Penalty: Yay Or Nay?

dariel2323

Are you in favor of the death penalty? I will give my own views after you have given yours. Let's discuss this one. Thanks.

nikkilsvgs

I will respond for I like this topic. I do not believe in the death penalty. However, not for the reasons you are thinking. I believe that putting people to death that have committed the most heinous crimes is too good for them. It is like giving these people a free ticket home and they get off scott free.

People say "we are paying tax dollars for them to eat, sleep and get free healthcare" this is where the system is just completely screwed up. I agree on this we should not be paying for these people to have 3 hots and a cot and better medical coverage and more rights then we do.

I have a solution for this as well. There are plenty of deserted islands out there. We build a huge jail and everyone who commits rape, child abuse, murder or any other just sicko crime goes to this jail. They are locked in a cell 24/7 with only a mat on the ground. Food? Bread and water like back in the day. No medical care no view of the pretty ocean no nothing. If they did the crime they can do the time.

I think that instead of sending our troops overseas doing their yearly tour their yearly tour should be on the island securing the jail.

stevesxs9

I'm in favor of the death penalty. I really don't see how putting someone in prison for the rest of their life at the expense of taxpayers, solve anything. When you steal from a person or wrong them in some way, there's always the possibility of you making amends.

But when you when you unprovokingly kill someone, you can never square it with that person. So since its impossible for us to give back life if we willingly take it, then we should be willing to pay the ultimate price for the ultimate crime.

The only exception is self defense in my opinion.

ReDGuNNeR

The death penalty is a tough argument because there are so many variables involved. If you are related to the victim and a particularly heinous crime has occurred, you would surely want justice for that family member at all costs. If the crime was as grievous as intentional death, then you would probably start to begin arguing the "Eye for an Eye" viewpoint that has been around since Hanurrabi's days.

Even as crime rates decrease and laws become more relaxed and liberal, the case for the death penalty remains an issue in many states. Like stevesxs9, once you take a life there is no sort of payback in the world. So is taking another life the justifiable way?

Very, very tough decision but excellent topic.

wulfman

Lots of different crimes committed. Horrible but you never know how abused or sick the perpetrator was. Was it done out of pure evil or just mentally insane. Death penalty or mental institution or lifetime in prison. This is very hard to determine. We cannot read people's thoughts. I do believe there are people that are truly evil and deserve to die, but how do you distinguish them from someone who is simply a nut job?

Muthoni

I think that the death sentence should be abolished. An offender is given the easiest out. This is one place where I do not agree that the punishment should fit the crime. A murder takes someone’s life because they do not understand the value of life; killing them just helps them remove that burden of killing someone from their shoulders

bala

In favor because that is the only sentence that evokes some kind of fear right when the word is stated.I would opt for death sentences if the crimes surmount to extreme,as in the case of Rape,Murder and more than 3 killings.
Does that sound apt or should we revise the terms..?

nikkilsvgs

Lots of different crimes committed. Horrible but you never know how abused or sick the perpetrator was. Was it done out of pure evil or just mentally insane. Death penalty or mental institution or lifetime in prison. This is very hard to determine. We cannot read people's thoughts. I do believe there are people that are truly evil and deserve to die, but how do you distinguish them from someone who is simply a nut job?

There is no way that you can distinguish. Now a days that is an attorney's first option in court is plead temporary mental insanity. Half of them have never had any mental problems but they claim the devil made them do it or they temporarily lost their mind. So I do not buy that. If they did it, they need to be locked up for life.

KrustyKrabella

I am against the death penalty for several reasons.

One, as long as there is a chance that an innocent person can be put to death, the price is too high. As people are often let out of prison after many years and having been found innocent due to new evidence, it is likely and probable that the wrong person has been put to death a time or two. There is no way to remedy this mistake when it happens.

Two, it is actually more cost efficient to carry out a life sentence than put a prisoner to death. Seriously. Look it up.

Three, with Europe refusing to sell us the drugs necessary for lethal injection, we are basically performing medical experiments on living, non-consensual people. That's inhumane at best.

Four, We are one of only 40 countries left in the WORLD who still perform this barbaric practice. Out of 195 countries, only 40 still put prisoners to death. Hint: it's because it is barbaric, inhumane, and outdated.

Five, the death penalty makes some people famous. Instead of deterring crime (like it was originally said it would do), it makes a certain kind of person more inclined to commit vicious crime for the celebrity status of death row and being put to death.

There's more reason, but I'll stop there :)

helaofthenorns

I am in favor of the death penalty. We had it before, but it was revoked because the President was a Catholic. Anyway, recently, the number of heinous crimes here in the Philippines has been growing exponentially. There was a news the other about a woman who was raped and stabbed multiple times then dumped into a river. The other day, a 6-month old child was kidnapped and eventually found dead and raped under a vehicle.

Crimes such as these deserve no clemency. The criminals should be put to death. An eye for an eye!

LuckyGirl08

I only favor the death penalty if the criminal committed a horrible crime like killing an innocent child. I do believe that the death penalty is just an easy way out for murders. They should spend the rest of their life with no freedom what so ever. I do not like that we pay for them to be well taken care of while in prison but we do not just pay for murders, we pay for everybody. Our tax money pays for almost everything in this world not just for prisoners. I think that people who is on death row should not be able to have health care and I think that the inmates family should have to pay for them to be there.

nafretiti

I'm in favor of the death penalty if the crime calls for it, an eye for an eye. Murders should definitely get the death penalty, because why should they be able to live and enjoy three meals a day, watch television in jail and even play card games. This to them is sort of a luxury, yeah they are locked up for the rest of their lives in prison but sometimes they can relax in there. I'd also be in favor of them being tortured like they tortured their victims before they were killed I'm sure, these monsters do not deserve to live at all. On the other hand there are a lot of innocent people who have died because they were wrongly accused, unless they know for a fact that a specific person did it and not believe what all the courts have to say then that is when I say no for the death Penalty. Take the Green Mile for example, the black man in there did not kill them, they thought he did so locked him up and was going to kill him for it and thus wrongly accused.

PhilA

Yes, absolutely. I think it is much more humane and financially frugal than keeping someone kept and behind bars for decades.

js85

I go back and forth with this by myself so often. I mostly agree with the death penalty in the sense that the state should not have to support them with food, location, healthcare, etc. But I also don't agree that criminals should 'get off easy' by being killed and not have to suffer. I don't really agree with making anything suffer, even if they've created suffering themselves. It's a really, very difficult topic and I don't think there will ever be anything objectively right or wrong about it.