Degree or LEO first?

cmirmann

Hello To All, My question is, when transitioning out of the military and wanting to be a LEO, is it best to concentrate on a 4 year degree first

thomas pendrake

At least start your formal education. The longer you postpone it, the harder it will be to get started. This also allows you to investigate the LEO opportunities available to you. Also, it keeps you from getting stuck in a bottom-rung track. Sometimes it is hard to work your way up from the bottom, and the education may allow you to start in a different track. Remember enlisted vs. commissioned in the military?

Diane Lane

Some departments used to consider military experience in place of a degree, but from what I've seen, I'd say go for the degree first, or at least in conjunction with, a job in the field. The older you get, the harder it becomes to dedicate the time and energy toward schooling, and other factors might come into play, such as a family. Degrees will always help in your career, and the question you might want to ask yourself is, which field to obtain your degree in, because some might place you more highly on the candidate list. The type of law enforcement career you want could help you determine which field of study to choose. In some positions, an accounting degree might be best, due to money laundering and criminal enterprise aspects of some enforcement, while pilot training and licensure could be helpful and give you an edge in a different department/agency.

Gabe

I would also say a degree first as it may open more doors. You can always read up on laws and other protocols in the meantime which helps with exams in the police force when people get promoted. There may also be positions available to those with a degree only, or a fast track program.

Philosophydaddy

The longer you postpone it, the harder it will be to get started.

Spot on. Hell, I got my associate's degree at my local community college and then waited a year to start on my bachelor's. Getting back into the swing of things, even just after taking a year off, is tough. It is best to get in, get it done and move on. If you are in the US and coming out of the military the GI Bill plus Pell Grants should be enough to cover tuition, books, living expenses and even a little spending money without needing to take out students loans. Also what are your eventual career goals? Law Enforcement? Or is that just something that you feel is just a temp thing until you land a job in your chosen field?