Degree

Philosophydaddy

Do you usually need a Bachalor's degree to apply to become a police officer? I was thinking maybe I could have this as a contingency for after graduation if I can't get a job in my chosen field.

lushlala

I don't think this is the case for all police roles, although I guess it would also depend on each country. In Botswana some of the lower/entry roles don't require a Degree, I think the lowest qualification they need is a GCSE/iGCSE (high school). But some roles will ask for a Degree or above, depending on what exactly it is you're expected to do.

Gabe

Most require finishing High School and those with more qualifications may have the opportunity to fast track or be offered other roles. It depends on the country and area you are applying, but most police officers don't need a degree as many apply to join after school and work their way up.

Rainman

I saw in March. A city in Florida which had a shortage of police officers and the first line of the ad declared that you didn't need a degree to be a cop in that city. Of course they were desperate but that's proof that you don't need a degree to be a cop.

Educational requirements:
Police Officer: Educational Requirements for Police Officers

The basic qualifications for becoming a police officer are generally similar across states . . . to be considered for employment the applicant must . . . have a high school diploma or equivalent education

thomas pendrake

This does not represent any lowering of educational requirements. It is true that advanced education programs, even academic programs have become common. Most larger cities require graduation from a departmental police academy, and I believe many states now have certification requirements that include training. I see a growing public disenchantment with current policing programs, and I suspect that we will see advanced training programs and the development of research programs, particularly in improved arrest techniques. We have seen far too many police killings, not just by guns, but by suffocations and broken necks. And we have created pseudo-military police units all to anxious to get TV time with raids where none are needed. WE DO NOT NEED SS TROOPS IN AMERICA!!!!!!!

Many police officers are aware that the relationship needs to change. "Broken windows" policing is something out of Himmler's play-book. IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHO HEINRICK HIMMLER WAS, FIND OUT.

Our police need to be protecting the rights of civilians. Educated cops don't need billy clubs to teach. Teach police how to earn respect, not demand it.

missbishi

A college degree is not necessary for the police force in my country at all. You are expected to have GSCE Mathematics and English, but this is just to show that you have attained a certain standard of education. I would say that relevant work experience (paid or voluntary) and an understanding of the social problems that your country faces would be much more useful.

Diane Lane

Educational requirements depend upon which agency you're applying with, so if there are one or more you're interested in, check with them before you make a decision. Usually you can find the information on their websites. Federal agencies in the U.S. require a 4 year degree. Some PDs accept high school or associate degrees. I also recommend if you're planning to get a degree with the goal of law enforcement employment in mind, talk to recruiters at the agencies/departments you're interested in, to find out which degrees are more in demand, and would be a better fit for their requirements.