Do You Arrest Off-duty Cops For Infractions?

Rainman

Police officers aren't perfect. While they are expected at all times to set the right example by upholding the law they enforce, one can slip. Something could happen and the LEO decides to "drown his sorrows" with drink. Now supposing he attempts to DUI, and a cop who knows him pulls him over, would he arrest his [off-duty] colleague?

Patrick

I'd think police officers would be much more inclined to protect their own. They wouldn't call each other out over minor infractions such as littering or jaywalking. DUI though is a pretty major offence and I think different officers might handle it differently.

thegrey1

In my opinion, if they wouldn't, they shouldn't be police officers. DUI is very serious! I actually knew a "good old boy" network of cops years ago. They covered for each other for lots of despicable stuff. I like to think we've become more civilized, but human nature being what it is, I doubt it.

laurelbell85

One of my professors is a police officer. He said that cops tend to let other cops slide on certain things because it is like a brotherhood. My professor also stated that by "turning in" one o their own can make their time in the force harder on them because other cops will be "out" for him. This was when he was a police officer in LA a few years back.

missbishi

I'd like to think that cops wouldn't be breaking the law in the first place but I don't live on Cloud Cuckoo Land! I can imagine any officer that did turn in a colleague would have a hard time at work thereafter so this would discourage them from doing so, even if they wanted to. It takes a lot of courage to be a whistleblower.

JoanMcWench

'Arresting' is rare. Dictating the account on paper is rare. It has a majour impact on their record when recorded. So, it usually works out that they handle it in house.