Do you ever lie about the town you come from?

Gin0710

Do you ever lie about the town you come from because you're ashamed of it? My town is known for being a "ghetto" and full of crime. I always feel like I have to apologize for being from there. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes, and the school system isn't that great.

Onionman

Don't allow your town to define you. Just because you're from there it doesn't mean that's what you're about. People will always judge people regardless. Just don't play into their hands by really caring too much.

dolittle94

Do you ever lie about the town you come from because you're ashamed of it? My town is known for being a "ghetto" and full of crime. I always feel like I have to apologize for being from there. It's pretty embarrassing sometimes, and the school system isn't that great.
I don't think you should be ashamed of where you are from at all, especially if you are in a better place now than you were growing up. Think of it as beating back the stereotype of 'you were raised in the ghetto so you are going to be all around unsuccessful and ratchet.' Heck, my sister acts like that and we grew up in Berkley, California, but her and my brother act like we came from the hood in Oakland or something. I think as long as you should be looked at with who you are now anyway, not where you used to be.

Patrick

I don't do that, you should be proud of your roots. It doesn't matter if people judge you for coming from a town they might deem as "inferior", so long as you don't accept their remarks it does not mean anything at all.

Josie

I agree with everyone else. Our roots make or break us, you should be proud. I never lie about where I'm from, no. Although it seems to be run by drunks, lol.. it's beautiful, tourists love it, not too big, not too small.. an all around perfect place to raise a family or retire. I love my home town. I lie about where I'm from online though lol.. or omit. But for obvious reasons.

Gabe

People do judge though, that's the thing and at school people would define you and your status by the district you were born in or live in. I generally say the closest big town because unless you are from the area, you wouldn't have heard of it. As you get older, you realize it doesn't matter. Others make it seem to matter and hence some people do lie.

bala

No..Why would i..Even if it was an unknown village not quite known for i would still tell the name and where i hail from,because that has brought me up for that time limit and if i am ashamed of it,then it means not honoring yourself.

dyanmarie25

There's no reason to lie about the town you've come from, specially if you haven't done anything wrong in the first place. Never be ashamed of it, stand up straight and lift your head up high. Tell people, "So what if I was raised in a ghetto place, does that make me a bad person then?" Of course, no. People tend to stereotype others, but don't let them make you feel worse about yourself.

Rainman

I don't talk about where I'm from. I live in a small town now and while people wonder "where the hell I am from" they never ask me and I'm not one to go divulging information that's not all that useful to the hearer. While people should be proud of their hometowns I think there are times when you just shouldn't tell. People are judgmental, that is a fact.

lushlala

People will always find something to judge you on. I'm the sort of person who's never really cared about what people think or say about me. I mean, it does sting and hurt a little, but you grow thick skin over time and learn to rise above it because you can't please all of the people all of the time. So to answer your question, no I never lie about where I'm from. Granted, there's nothing to be ashamed of as my town is pretty decent. BUT even if it had a nasty rep, I wouldn't lie about it. If people feel a certain way about it, it's on them; I'm not bending or bowing down to anyone's ideal. If they don't like it, they can lump it LOL

Gabe

I don't talk about where I'm from. I live in a small town now and while people wonder "where the hell I am from" they never ask me and I'm not one to go divulging information that's not all that useful to the hearer. While people should be proud of their hometowns I think there are times when you just shouldn't tell. People are judgmental, that is a fact.

Maybe they think you are an alien?:rolleyes:

I really don't think it matters that much, but sometimes people look for some sort of connection. The thing is where I come from I barely know the area, so if people ask me I may have heard of places, but I don't really know anymore than what you could read in a guide book. In fact when I read the guide book to my area I found out things I didn't know.

FuZyOn

Yeah, I live in a town near the biggest city in my country and I don't really speak much about it unless someone asks.
The town is very notorious for it's people and I try to not talk about it.

missbishi

It's impossible for me to lie about where I come from - my accent gives the game away immediately. People do have pre-concieved ideas about people from my city but I figure that's their problem, not mine!

mairj23

Yes, I tend to lie all the town especially when I'm out of town. My home town is small and country, which lacks excitement. Also it has a bad racial history that's been getting away with many crimes throughout the years. No way I want to be associated to the place.

Key343

No. I was raised in the south part of Chicago. That area is very known for is crime and violence but I tell people I from there. I think you shouldn't lie about it. Like a user said earlier that doesn't define you unless your apart of problem. I think you should be honest.

IshieVonDyson

I don’t lie about my hometown, but I used to lie or avoid talking about where I went to high school. Where I come from, people judge you by your high school. Which I always found quite silly, but I went to one that’s considered one of the bottom five in the entire state, so it wasn’t exactly a source of pride. I don’t bother lying about it anymore, though. There’s no real reward in that.

mrsbright

Sure. I live in a suburb next to a big city -- which is sometimes included in the "Greater Area of the City", which means that sometimes the city name includes it surroundings, including my suburb. So I simplify it.

oraclemay

I know people always judge, but you are not defined by the location or situation you grew up in, if you will not allow it. It really does not matter what people think or say or believe because in the end it is the character of the person that tells the true story. Your character will shine through to those you care about and who get to know you. The rest don't really matter. There will always be those who like you and those who don't. You cannot be bothered by this all your life!

IshieVonDyson

I know people always judge, but you are not defined by the location or situation you grew up in, if you will not allow it. It really does not matter what people think or say or believe because in the end it is the character of the person that tells the true story. Your character will shine through to those you care about and who get to know you. The rest don't really matter. There will always be those who like you and those who don't. You cannot be bothered by this all your life!

Not to mention, some people can be so worried about others judging them, it leaves them little time to judge others. Reminding myself of that was what helped me not be so ashamed of where I came from, etc.