Do You Ever Regret . . .

Rainman

Having decided to be a cop? Stumbled into an article written by a cop. Either that or the writer was pretending to be cop. He said that he regretted having ever joined the police force and gave a few reasons which I won't list here. Considering how the media is anti-LEO's these days, has the fact that people no longer appreciate the work you do made you wish you never joined the police force?

OMGnoWAY

I think many cops suffer from depression and PTSD and are scared to tell anyone should they be suspended from their job. I could totally see someone having dealt with such mental issues regretting ever putting themselves in that position in the first place. I think cops should have more access to therapy and psychiatry without fear that they will jeopardize their job.

stevesxs9

I use to be intrigued with Police work and activity when I was younger. But through the years the glamor wore off because of corruption, racism, profiling, brutality and other accusations against the Police. Some which were found to be true sort of changed my mind on that. I still appreciate the men and women who put their lives on the line everyday for us. Its just the rotten apples in this profession seems they're magnified 100 times.

JoanMcWench

It's a thankless job, really. If you want a thanking one become a firefighter. People bake them cookies & go to the fire station to say thanks. It's tough being a cop. You often have to be the bad guy. You often have to ruin other people's fun & families. Tough job but someone has to do it to keep order & peace.

pandabear1991

I mentioned it my thoughts in another post. It should be mandatory for officers to seek mental health during and after serving. They see more trauma than most, and their training to make quick decisions can easily hinder their daily thinking process. It really takes the right kind of person for the job, but at the same time, their job should not be on the line for a mental illness that their job created. So long as they are seeking treatment and staying with it, definitely should not be an issue.

On the other hand, there is often corruption in police departments, which can easily turn someone away from wanting that job. The thought that you could be doing your best and what you were trained to do, and then all of a sudden an "incident" or "fatal incident" happens, because you caught on to the corruption and someone doesn't want their secret out...