Do you follow high profile trials?

Rosyrain

I have to admit that I was glued to HLN during the Casey Anthony and Jodi Arias murder trials. There was something that was very interesting in both cases and I had to watch every moment that I could of the TV coverage. Do any of you follow high profile trials on TV? What makes them so interesting to you? Do you learn anything from watching them?

ally79

I don't follow high profile cases on the television but I will keep up with them in the news. I don't have the patience to sit around and watch them on TV all day for weeks on end though.

missbishi

I do sometimes follow these cases. I was particularly interested in the Oscar Pistorius trial - probably because I wanted to know the truth about what happened and I was curious as to what sort of sentence he would recieve.

I also like to compare what is reported in the media to the actual facts. Often, there is quite a difference!

mrsbright

Huh, never occurred to me that it was possible to watch the trials as they happened -- where I come from, we don't have a channel for that. I do like to keep an eye on the coverage and opinion articles made relating to the trial and to the participants. I don't think I'd have the patience to watch the complete trial, anyway. It's like watching the Parliament Channel. Feels boring and depressing and like sports even if you scream at the TV nothing changes, so might as well just get the condensed form of information.

Kittyworker

It entirely depends on the circumstances of the trial. If I feel I have a connection to either the defendant or victim than I may follow it. If its simply some famous person who has done something wrong than I don't follow it and rely on others to keep me informed. Usually the higher profile the case the less I need to do to stay on top of it because everyone else is talking about it. There has to be an underlying reason for me to follow a case for me to be interested in it.

shilpa123

I used to follow them once upon time, and after some time I just stopped it. I do not think it is quite good enough to spend your time on all that. Hence I believe that it is good enough that if we know quite enough about the trials but not everything.

bala

I keenly followed the trial of oscar pistorius for that murder case of steenkamp.It kept me glued because he was paralympic athlete and i love paralympics.Eventually it was a good decision on sentencing him to 5 yrs jail.

missbishi

I keenly followed the trial of oscar pistorius for that murder case of steenkamp.It kept me glued because he was paralympic athlete and i love paralympics.Eventually it was a good decision on sentencing him to 5 yrs jail.

I love the Paralympics too - those athletes put us to shame! I do wonder whether he would have received a harsher sentence had he not been famous though.

bala

I love the Paralympics too - those athletes put us to shame! I do wonder whether he would have received a harsher sentence had he not been famous though.
Yeah he surely would have received a harsher sentence had he not been famous.Some say a deal went under wraps.
He has put the game to shame to be honest but there are many others who can take this a notch higher.

shilpa123

I think high profile trials are quite interesting most of the time. But at one point they just become too much to follow. At that point I stop thinking about them.

Kamarsun1

Since I lived in the FL area during the Casey case, I didn't have much of a choice but to see or hear about it, but generally I don't watch high profile court cases. My last one honestly was the O.J. trail. That was an exciting case to say the least.

stevesxs9

I don't follow them too much but since most of them are plastered on the television screen, I usually wind up watching more than I intended. I think the media is responsible for making most of these cases high profile with their mass coverage of the events.

bala

I don't follow them too much but since most of them are plastered on the television screen, I usually wind up watching more than I intended. I think the media is responsible for making most of these cases high profile with their mass coverage of the events.
Ahh,the harsh truth actually,they actually spice it up to increase their TRP. Moreover we als becauso get tricked into following it,just because it is someone who we have followed on movies/TV.

GlacialDoom

Not really. Usually, if I want to learn about the outcome of a crime, I'll just wait until after the trial is over - the verdict will probably be all over the news or on the front pages of newspapers.

Rosyrain

I don't watch the whole trial from start to finish on the TV, let me clarify that. I do watch parts of it when I can and then do a lot of research online, or will watch the highlights on crime tv shows. I learn a lot, so at least it is not garbage tv.

TonyMHFan

I like reading into a few, select high profile cases on occasion though I don't watch them on TV. The two most recent ones I've given time to is the ongoing Aaron Hernandez trial and the trial of Michael Jackson's Doctor for killing him. Aside from those two I really couldn't tell you of any other high profile case that has gone on, is going on, or is slated to begin.

shilpa123

I do believe that law is blinded by the society to some extent. It is really gross but this is what happens when you are very rich and powerful.

RingoBerry

Yes I do make sure I keep myself updated with high profile trials. I'd like to see how the law will handle really hard cases, how people will react to the progress, if the verdict is rational and how the public thinks about it.

Onionman

For my sins, I probably do follow more high-profile trials than I should. And the thing is, a lot of them are only high profile because they fit the 'crime against suburbia' dynamic - i.e. beautiful family, with lovely wife/child, and impacted by crime. We get sucked into believing by the media that some are more worthy of our attention than others.

piez

Not very often. I feel that only certain cases get recognition because the news companies feel that they can profit off of the situation. Thinking of that makes me almost not even want to hear about them. At the same time though I know it is important to know of them so that I can be aware of what is going on in the world around me.